Match Report


Thu 24 May 12

The Rovers made one change to their starting line-up, with Habib Beye replacing Adam Lockwood in central defence. It was an unusual starting time for everyone, with the kick off being at half past twelve for Rovers last game of the season and their last game, for now, in the Championship. The Rovers defended the South Stand end in the 1st half in front of their loyal fans.
The visitors got the game underway but the Rovers got the first strike at goal in the second minute when good play on their right by Hayter, Oster and Coppinger set up the latter for a crack at goal but he was wide of the far post. The Ipswich response was to go down to the Rovers end where Martinhit a low shot from the edge of the penalty area that had Woods diving to his right to push round the post. From the corner kick, Delaney shot well wide. Another corner to the visitors a couple of minutes later came out to Edwards but his effort from distance was high and wide. At the other end the Rovers won a corner but the keeper caught it under challenge. Ipswich won another corner which was punched away by Woods but back came the visitors to get another corner which SMITH headed in at the far post after 10 minutes. Continuing to press Drury, for Ipswich, shot well wide from 30yards. Then, on the quarter hour, following a corner Delaney headed against the underside of the bar and the ball bouncing down and away. Minutes later and good play by Robertand coppinger led to Coppinger crossing for Hayter to to volley over the bar from close range. In the 21st minute a poor clearance by Woods went straight to Martin, who took it on but as he shot Woods stuck a leg and deflected it for a corner. Ipswich were having the better of the play at this stage and went further ahead in the 29th minute when a rasping shot from 30yards on the left from STEVENSON hit the underside of the bar, bounced down and came out, Goal said the assistant and the referee pointed to the centre spot. Past the half hour and the Rovers got their game going at last. A long crossfield pass from Husband on the left was headed back into the middle by Coppinger at the farpost for Hayter to get a shot on target but Lee-Barrett saved comfortably. a minute later, the 34th, Gilliett, on the Rovers left, crossed to the middle where ROBERT stabbed in to put the Rovers on the scoresheet. Three minutes later, the same combination resulted in Robert heading in but the assistant had his flag up for offside. The Rovers pressed on, with Robert, playing down the middle at this point, having a shot saved. However, Ipswich were still dangerous and as time ran down to the break, Chopra had a shot saved by Woods, who then was in action again in added time to tip a Drury effort from 20yards round a post. 
    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports