Match Report


Tue 30 Jun 15

A superb second half comeback from Rovers stuns top of the table Wigan Athletic at the Keepmoat.

Rovers - 3 (Butler 50’, 54’ Williams 86’)
Wigan - 1 (Grigg 41’)

Saturday 16th April
Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster
SkyBet League One

Andy Butler was the man of the moment in Doncaster as Darren Ferguson's side produced a superb second half comeback to defeat league leaders Wigan Athletic.

It was far from evident as the game kicked off at the Keepmoat which team were at the top of the table as Rovers started the game very brightly.

The home side could have gone ahead just two minutes into the game as Gary McSheffrey delivered a wicked free kick across the face of goal. With Andy Williams just needing the slightest of touches on it, he somehow couldn’t connect and it went out for a goal kick.

Rovers continued to look a threat, enjoying the majority of possession. Luke McCullough was excellent in midfield picking out a number of passes to get Rovers forward.

They went close again as McSheffrey and Chaplow found ways into the box before delivering good balls but there was no Rovers final touch to put them ahead.

Despite dominating play, just before half time Wigan took the lead. On the break, Yanic Wildschut ran half the length of the pitch before crossing the ball to an unmarked Will Grigg who comfortable headed into the bottom corner past Remi Matthews.

Rovers came inches away from hitting back straight away as a great ball delivered into the box was met by Tommy Rowe but his header somehow went just wide.

HALF TIME: Rovers 0-1 Wigan

The home side came out fighting in the second half. Craig Alcock had a looping header cleared off the line from a corner and the visitors looked rattled.

From the resulting corner, Rovers got the equaliser they deserved when Andy Butler popped up at the far post and headed past Jaaskelainen.

Moments later McSheffrey had his curling free kick tipped over the crossbar by the Wigan keeper in brilliant fashion. The Keepmoat then erupted and everyone was on their feet as Andy Butler got his and Rovers second fro another corner.

From then it was all Rovers. Catching Wigan on the break, they came close to adding a third as McSheffrey guided the ball across the box for an unmarked Riccardo Calder, but with the angle against him the Aston Villa loanee put his effort just over the bar.

With 5 minutes to play Darren Ferguson’s side did get a third goal to seal the victory against top of the table. A huge header from Butler released McSheffrey through one on one. As he looked to slide the ball past Jaaskelainen, he was brought down by Perkins. The referee awarded a penalty to Rovers and showed the Wigan defender the red card.

Up stepped Andy Williams who blasted the spot kick into the back of the net to score his first goal since January.

After 5 minutes stoppage time, Rovers saw the game out to seal a fantastic comeback against the league leaders.

FULL TIME: Rovers 3-1 Wigan

Team Lineups-

Rovers: Matthews, Alcock, Butler, Taylor-Sinclair (Evina 45’), Lund, McCullough, Rowe, Chaplow, Coppinger© (Calder 67’), Williams, McSheffrey

Unused Subs: Stuckmann, Tyson, Mandeville, Stewart, Middleton

Cautions: Chaplow 28’, McSheffrey 48’, Butler 59'

Wigan: Jaaskelainen, Perkins, Daniels (Wabara 82’), Power, Morsy (Davies 72’), Grigg, Warnock, McAlney (Jacobs 40’), Barnett, Pearce (c), Wildschut

Unused Subs: McCann, Nicholls, Morgan, Vuckic

Cautions: Grigg 57’, Jacobs 79’, Perkins 86-RED

Attendance: 6,987


    Recent Match Reports