Report: Rovers 2-1 Bury

Tue 21 Aug 2012

Image by :

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at the Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster

npower League One


Attendance – 6,380 (492 visitors)

Referee – Mr C Sarginson


Although the Rovers got the game underway it was the visitors who went on to the attack and it paid off in the 4th minute when a corner from their left by Schumacher was headed down by SKARZ at the near post and somehow dribbled into the net. Minutes later, Brown, for the Rovers got into the Bury area but his shot was saved by the legs of Carson and Brown’s follow-up was blocked by a mass of bodies and going out for a corner to the Rovers. This was cleared and set Bury on the attack from which they gained a corner. This came out of defence to Hughes, who fired wide of the near post. At the other end a free kick from Martin Woods was headed over the bar by Paynter. Back to the Rovers end for a corner to the visitors and Bennett was there to clear. In the 16th minute a corner to the Rovers was well caught by Carson as Brown rose to head it in. The game continued to ebb and flow then, in the 28th minute, a Bury corner from Schumacher was hit straight to Bennett, who set off on a run for the Bury goal. Playing a series of 1-2s with Cotterill, Bennett was able to get in a strike from the edge of the penalty area but Carson, diving to his right, pushed it round the post. End-to-end play continued and in the 36th minute, following good play by the Rovers, a link-up by Syers and Bennett led to BENNETT shooting in from close range despite the attentions of two defenders. Straight from the re-start the Rovers advanced and Paynter got in a crack at goal from 25yards but it was deflected for a corner. The Rovers continued to press forcing a couple of corners as time ran down to the break. Into added time and Bury had a good chance when Cullen, on the left, blazed over from 10 yards, with only Gary Woods to beat.


Half Time – Doncaster Rovers 1 Bury 1


The pace of the game slowed down in the second half , with midfield play over the first five minutes. The first strike at goal came in the 51st minute when Carrington’s shot was nearer the corner flag than goal. The in the 56th minute a cross from Cotterill on the right to the far post was headed back inside by Spurr for a re-action action by Brown to go over the bar. Past the hour and Bennett played a through ball for Brown but a timely tackle by a defender put the ball out for a corner to the Rovers. This caused mayhem in the Bury six-yard box before it was cleared. In the 68th minute, Schumacher brought down Brown and earned himself a second booking and an early bath. This gave the opportunity for the Rovers to press forward more and make their numerical advantage count. Bennett hurried a shot fom 25yards that nearly hit the corner flag but followed this two minutes later with another effort that Carson saved. At the other end minutes later John-Lewis had a good effort from 20yards saved and Syers, for the Rovers, had a cracking shot tipped over by Carson. Bury, despite their depleted number battled hard but in the 84th minute a good Rovers move ended with BROWN receiving a flick on from Syers and slotting past Carson. Vehement appeals by the Bury players for offside were brushed away by the officials. The visitors battled to the end but the Rovers were not to be denied and when the referee finally blew his whistle for time the Rovers had secured the win by two goals to one.


Result – Doncaster Rovers 2 (Bennett 36, Brown 84) Bury 1 (Skarz 4)


Teams – Rovers – Gary Woods; Paul Quinn, Jamie McCombe, Rob Jones, Tommy Spurr; David Cotterill, David Syers, Martin Woods, Kyle Bennett; Billy Paynter, Chris Brown

Subs used – James Harper for Woods 77 mins; James Coppinger for Brown 87 mins;

Subs not used - James Husband, Robbie Blake, Neil Sullivan gk


Bury – Trevor Carson; Andrai Jones, Adam Lockwood, Mark Hughes, Joe Skarz,; David Worrall, Mark Carrington, Steven Schumacher, Peter Sweeney; Andy Bishop, Mark Cullen,

Subs used – Craig Jones for Worrall 16 mins; Lenell John-Lewis for Bishop 64 mins; Marcus Marshall for Cullen 69 mins;

Subs not used – Phil Picken, , Lateef Ellford-Alliyu, Max Harrop, Christian Dibble

Cautions – Schumacher 29 mins; Schumacher 68 mins; Hughes 87 mins;

Sent Off – Schumacher 68 mins;

    Related Articles

    • Fan Friday!

      Fan Friday! 12 Feb 2016
      This Friday sees the launch of our week of activities for our #ForeverRovers Season Ticket campaign.

    • Darren's Birthday Surprise

      Darren's Birthday... 13 hours 11 mins ago
      Gaffer receives well wishes before turning attentions to Saturday's derby day.

    • Sheffield Utd Ticket Update

      Sheffield Utd Ticket Update 17 hours 8 mins ago
      Important information for fans attending Saturday's must see derby clash.

    • Get Shirty

      Get Shirty 20 hours 28 mins ago
      Buy your 2016/17 season ticket early to enter our competition to win a new replica jersey!

    • 10,000 Crowd Target

      10,000 Crowd Target 1 day ago
      Gaffer calls for bumper gate at Blades clash.

    • Iron Game Rearranged

      Iron Game Rearranged 1 day ago
      New fixture date for local derby confirmed.