Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

19 December 2020 Venue Pirelli Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW | Burton Albion vs Rovers

18 December 2020

Rovers are looking to make it four wins on the bounce in Sky Bet League One when they take on Burton Albion on Saturday.

Darren Moore’s side beat Swindon Town 2-1 last time out, thanks to a double from Reece James at the Keepmoat Stadium. 


Burton’s recent form 

The brewers have won just one of their past six league games stretching back to a 3-1 home defeat to Northampton in November. They picked up a crucial three points at home to Charlton Athletic three days later at the Pirelli Stadium. 

They have found wins hard to come by so far in December, but have lost just once in their previous four outings. After draws against Sunderland, Crewe Alexandra and MK Dons, they were narrowly beaten 2-1 at Ipswich Town last time out. 


The man in charge 

Jake Buxton was named as the club’s player-manager in the summer after the resignation of Nigel Clough.  

Buxton was tasked with improving on Burton’s 12th placed finish last season. 


Ones to watch 

Stephen Quinn 

The Irish international is now in his third season with Burton after joining the club in the summer of 2018. Quinn spent seven years with Sheffield United at the start of his career, establishing himself at the heart of their midfield before a move to Hull City in 2012. 

He played a key role in helping the tigers win promotion back to the Premier League in 2015, before joining Reading prior to his move to the Brewers. 


Lucas Akins 

The powerful forward has been a key part of the Burton side since signing from Stevenage in the summer of 2014. After spells in Scotland with Hamilton and Partick Thistle, Akins returned to English football with Tranmere where he produced several eye-catching performances and that persuaded Stevenage to pay a substantial fee for him.  

He scored 10 goals in 49 appearances at the Lamex Stadium before then Brewers boss Gary Rowett snapped him up, and he would go on to be a great signing as he helped the club secure consecutive promotions from Sky Bet League Two to the Championship.


Niall Ennis 

A player Rovers fans know all about, Ennis spent last season on loan at the Keepmoat Stadium from Premier League side Wolverhampton Wanderers. The 21-year-old scored six goals in 32 appearances during his time at the club. 

He joined Burton on a season-long loan on deadline day in October. 


Last time out 

The two sides played out a 2-2 draw when they last met back in November 2019. David Templeton gave Burton an early lead, before Jon Taylor equalised three minutes later. The brewers went back in front after a second-half penalty from Lucas Akins, before Kieran Sadlier’s strike sealed a share of the spoils at the Keepmoat Stadium.  



Watch pre-match interviews



Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT | Burton Albion 1 Rovers 3

19 December 2020

Rovers end Brewers-hoodoo with first EFL win against Burton Albion in the club’s history to register a fourth consecutive league victory take themselves to within touching distance of league-leaders Portsmouth.

Fejiri Okenabirhie gave Rovers the lead inside eight minutes but that didn’t really tell the story of the opening exchanges which had generally seen the hosts have the best of the play. Lucas Akins converted from the penalty spot on the 44th minutes to draw the match level but four minutes later, Rovers were able to retake the lead with a penalty of their own. Ben Whiteman converting from 12-yards.

Taylor Richards settled the tie on the hour mark with an excellent solo goal. He won the ball back in his own half and drove through the centre of the park – the pitch opened up for him thanks to willing runners on either side, but he needed no help as he curled the ball into the top corner from 20 yards.

Darren Moore made four changes to the side that defeated Swindon Town on Tuesday night with starts for Fejiri Okenabirhie, Jon Taylor, Cameron John and Taylor Richards.

The home side had arguably started the better with Rovers asked to defend consecutive corners, but for all their possession the hosts didn’t register a shot on target and on the eighth minute Okenabirhie capitalised at the first time of asking.

Rovers strung a really nice set of passes together on the break with Richards’ ball out to John allowing the left-back to fire a vicious ball across the face of Kieran O’Hara’s goal. There were plenty of bodies in the box, but it was Okenbirhie with a poacher’s finish in the six-yard box which gave Moore’s side a rare early goal.

A long break in play to deal with an injury to Sam Hughes stopped Rovers building on a bit of better play. Hughes was unable to recover from what looked like an injury to his knee as he tumbled awkwardly off the ball and was replaced by John-Joe O’Toole.

Despite the disruption to their line-up, the Brewers were quickly back on the front foot but without troubling Joe Lumley between the sticks.

Rovers had some flashes of decent play on the break and with willing runners from the the midfield were flooding the box, but the final touch seemed to elude Moore’s men as the final pass seemed only ever seemed to be met by a yellow shirt.

Burton undoubtedly had the best chances of what remained of the half. Rovers had to see off threats from a succession of high looping deliveries which were bound to lead to a chance eventually. The opportunity fell to Niall Ennis who connected well with a half-volley and forced an excellent save by Lumley who saw it late and got down well.

A mad final few minutes of the first-half led to a penalty for both teams. Taylor Richards brought Joe Powell down with a clumsy challenge allowing Lucas Akins to dispatch confidently from the spot. At the other end, Michael Bostwick returned the favour by sliding through Okenabirhie to give Whiteman chance to retake the lead with the last kick of the half.

The match more or less picked up where it left off with the hosts having plenty of the ball.

Jon Taylor’s tenacity gave Rovers a half-chance ten minutes into the half. His tenacity won the ball back from right back Colin Daniel and he drove into the box. By the time he was able to get his cross away, he was surrounded by yellow shirts and it was easily thwarted.

The Brewers were gifted a chance when Anderson conceded a foul on the edge of the box but Powell was only able to find the side netting.

Rovers extended their lead on the hour mark with a superb solo effort by Richards. He won the ball back in his own half and drove through the midfield. He had runners either side of him but he didn’t need them and curled the chance into the top corner.

With a little daylight between themselves and the opposition, Rovers seemed to build in confidence with half-chances falling their way. The best of these came to Okenabirhie who fired over from the edge of the box.

There was plenty of effort - and no small amount of good football from Burton - but Rovers' defence stood firm and were able to see out the remainder of the match.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account