Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

02 December 2020 Venue KCOM Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW | Hull City vs Rovers

2 December 2020

Rovers travel to take on Hull City in Sky Bet League One on Wednesday night.

Darren Moore’s side head into the game on the back of a 2-1 victory at Carlisle United in the Emirates FA Cup second round. 

watch the highlights

Hull’s recent form 

The Tigers have lost just two of their last six league games, starting with a 2-1 defeat at home to Peterborough United in October. They responded well with a 3-1 win at Bristol Rovers just three days later, before being brought back down to earth the following weekend when they were beaten on the road against Swindon Town. 

Since then they have found a consistency in performances and results, with a 2-0 win against Burton Albion followed up by a 3-1 victory at MK Dons. Their last league outing saw them comfortably beat Ipswich Town 3-0 at Portman Road. 


The man in charge  

Grant McCann left Rovers to join Hull in the summer of 2019. He enjoyed success in his only season at the Keepmoat Stadium, guiding the club to the Sky Bet League One play-off semi-final, before taking over as head coach at the KCOM Stadium soon after. After a positive start to last season, McCann’s side were relegated from the Championship in the summer. He has now taken charge of 71 Hull games, winning 27, drawing 13 and losing 31, giving him an overall win percentage of 38%. 


Ones to watch 

Mallik Wilks 

Wilks is well known to Rovers fans after his exploits while on loan with the club in the 2018/19 season. Having arrived on loan from Leeds United, the winger scored 16 goals in 55 appearances and became a real fans favourite as the club secured a play-off place. He joined Barnsley on a permanent deal last summer, but struggled to make an impact at Oakwell and joined the Tigers on loan in January in a move which saw him re-united with Grant McCann. He made the move permanent in the summer and already has eight goals under his belt so far this season. 


Hakeeb Adelakun 

The powerful winger joined Hull in the summer on a season-long loan from Sky Bet Championship side Bristol City. After being on the books of Crystal Palace and West Ham United as a youngster, Adelakun moved to Scunthorpe United in 2012 and really started to make a name for himself in the EFL.  

After winning promotion from League Two with the Iron in the 2013/14 campaign, he helped them to consecutive Sky Bet League One play-off appearances, before joining Bristol City in 2018. He spent time on loan with Rotherham United last season.  


Josh Magennis 

The Northern Ireland international joined Hull from Bolton Wanderers in the summer of 2019. After making his senior debut with Cardiff City, Magennis also spent time with Kilmarnock and Charlton Athletic throughout a career which has seen him play more than 360 times as a professional, with almost 70 goals to go with it. 


Last time out 

The last time the two sides met in the league was back in January 2012 when they played out a goalless draw at the KCOM Stadium in the Championship. 


Watch pre-match interviews



Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT | Hull City 2 Rovers 1

2 December 2020

Tyreece John-Jules’ goal wasn’t enough as Rovers fell to a 2-1 defeat against Hull City at the KCOM Stadium. 

Hull took the lead through Josh Maggenis on the 25th minute and until half-time, Rovers were under pressure finding themselves with plenty of defending to do. They did well to keep the deficit to just one goal at the break and started the second period more brightly.

The introduction of Tyreece John-Jules added a different threat going forward and the Arsenal loanee was on the scoresheet just 15 minutes after he came on. Rovers had looked the better team at that point but when Richard Smallwood’s long-range effort was spilled, Tom Eaves was able to tap in to an empty minute in the 86th minute to wrap up three points for Hull City.

Darren Moore made just one change from his side that claimed Emirates FA Cup victory over Carlisle United just three days earlier with Cameron John coming into the team in place of the injured Danny Amos. 

Ed Williams got a place on the bench while Madger Gomes – who made a sub appearance on Sunday – was left out of the squad. 

It was a slow opening to the game as both teams tried to feel their way into the match. Fejiri Okenabirhie went closest for Rovers. A smart chest from the no.9 bought himself a bit of space to shoot and he connected well with the volley earning a corner inside five minutes. 

At the other end, former Rovers loanee Mallik Wilks should have done better when he volleyed wide at the back post, while Magennis also proved a handful – first heading over from a corner and then volleying wide. 

And it was the Northern Irish international who gave the home side the lead on the 25th minute. Wilks earned a free kick just outside the Rovers box as he went to the ground under the challenge of Joe Wright. The home side executed the chance with aplomb.  

George Honeyman touched the ball to Magennis who struck it sweetly leaving Joe Lumley with no chance.

The goal changed the complexion of the game with Rovers struggling to get out of their own half under the increasing pressure of the confident tigers. 

Hull could – and probably should - have doubled their lead ten minutes later as the table-toppers continued to turn the screw. Magennis was first to go close. His curling effort rattling the crossbar while Greg Docherty’s follow-up strike was blocked off the line by Wright. Wilks then fired one from the edge of the box which was tipped around the post by Lumley. The QPR-loanee did well to make the save as the ball came through a lot of bodies. 

Rovers continued to face wave after wave of attacks from the home side, but mostly managed to limit to them to pot-shots from distance which whistled dangerously all around the goal without actually testing the keeper.

Darren Moore’s men started the second half a little more brightly with Josh Sims winning his side an early corner after some really positive running by the Southampton loanee. His delivery was turned on target by Halliday, but he was trying to play it through a sea of bodies and it was blocked easily. 

There were hearts in mouths when Wilks and Lumley raced to a loose ball in the Rovers box. Wilks ended up on the ground asking for a penalty, but referee Anthony Backhouse was unmoved by the appeals and booked the winger for diving. 

Reece James was then bundled over in the Hull penalty area but the left-winger (for this match at least) had already committed a foul and a free kick was awarded. 

Lumley made the first save of the second half with around 25 minutes of the game remaining he was there to punch clear when Honeyman’s delivery from a corner-kick almost snuck straight in and Tom Anderson was on hand consistently to block through-balls and head clear crosses. 

Darren Moore’s men put their best bit of passing play together with 15 minutes remaining. Excellent one-touch work through the middle of the park eventually saw Rovers work the ball out to Sims who fired a dangerous looking ball into the six-yard box with Rovers players piling forward to tap it in. There was an important intervention by the Hull defence. 

Hull hit back with a big chance to seal the game which fell to goal-scorer Magennis. With Rovers pressing  forward, there was space for Hull to break in numbers, but Lumley stuck out a leg and made a good stop. 

Rovers managed to capitalise on their better spell in the 80th minute as they worked the ball out to Sims again. This time the winger was able to pick out substitute John-Jules who had managed to find himself half a yard of space in the six-yard box and fired home at the first time of asking.

Rovers had looked to be in the ascendancy as the game eeked into the final minutes, but it was to a Hull substitute (rather than a Rovers one) who would decide where the points went in this game. Richard Smallwood’s strike was spilled by Lumley and Eaves pounced on the loose ball, tapping into the empty net. 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account