Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

10 November 2020 Venue The Keepmoat Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League Trophy

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW | Rovers vs Wolverhampton Wanderers (Papa John's Trophy)

10 November 2020

Rovers face a Wolverhampton Wanderers U21s side in the final group-stage game of the Papa John’s Trophy on Tuesday night.

Andy Butler will once again take charge of the side at the Keepmoat Stadium, with Darren Moore continuing to self-isolate. 

A win for Rovers should see them progress to the next stage of the competition depending on results elsewhere in northern group F. 


Wolves’ form so far 

The young Wanderers side got off to a tough start in the competition as they were beaten 4-0 by Sky Bet League Two side Oldham Athletic. 

They picked up their first points in their last outing, beating Bradford City on penalties after a 1-1 draw in normal time. That shootout victory secured a crucial bonus point, and means they are still in with a shout of progressing heading into the final group game. 


Rovers’ position in the group 

Rovers have two points on the board following their own penalty shootout victory over Bradford in September. They were beaten 2-0 at Oldham last time out meaning it’s all to play for on Tuesday. 


Ones to watch  

Ki-Jana Hoever  

Wolves signed the exciting young defender from Premier League champions Liverpool in September. Having come through the system in his native Holland with AZ and Ajax, Hoever joined Liverpool in 2018 and went on to make two first-team appearances. His debut came against Wolves aged just 16 in an Emirates FA Cup tie in January 2019, before he became the club’s fourth youngest scorer with a goal against MK Dons in the Carabao Cup last season. 


Luke Matheson  

Defender Luke Matheson joined Wolves in January from Sky Bet League One side Rochdale and was immediately loaned back to them for the remainder of the season. 

The Papa John’s Trophy initially provided the full-back the opportunity to make his Rochdale debut aged just 15 back in 2018. His performances since then made him highly coveted, and it was Wanderers who made their interest clear in bringing him to the club. 


Theo Corbeanu 

The young Canadian striker signed a new two-year deal with Wolves after impressing during his time in the academy. Corbeanu has been involved in both Papa John’s Trophy games so far and is seen as one of their biggest goal threats. 



Rovers defender Cameron John could go up against his former side at the Keepmoat Stadium after leaving Wolves on a permanent deal in the summer. The 21-year-old spent last season on loan in South Yorkshire and will be looking to put on a good performance against his former counterparts if selected. 


Watch pre-match interviews



Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers U21 2

10 November 2020

Rovers bow out of the Papa John’s Trophy as a Fabio Silva brace earns three points for Wolves U21s on the night.

The home side started the tie brightly and were unfortunate to go behind on the 15 minute mark thanks to a Fabio Silva goal. The young Wanderers only led for eight minutes before James Coppinger was taken out in the box and Fejiri Okenabirhie equalised from the spot. 

The second-half looked to be petering out as half-chances came and went for both sides but the game was always likely to come down to one big chance and that moment fell to Silva who hit a winner in the 88th minute. 

Rovers made a number of changes to their starting XI with Liam Ravenhill making his first start for the club after making his debut on the previous Saturday and stand-in manager Andy Butler made his first start since re-signing for the club in the summer. 

Rovers started brightly and Jason Lokilo, on his first start since September, started really brightly down the right beating players and sending cross after cross flashing across the face of John Ruddy’s goal. 

Butler tested the keeper with a header and Reece James forced a save when he tried to curl an effort inside the near post while James Coppinger’s shot from distance wasn’t far away at all. 

Despite a positive start, it was Wolves who took the lead showing how clinical the young side could be. 18-year-old Fabio Silva, who arrived at the Molineux in the summer for a massive £35 million, showed true strikers’ instincts to pounce on a clearance by Cameron John and squeeze the ball past Louis Jones from a narrow angle. 

The visitors only held the lead for eight minutes as Coppinger was taken out in the box leaving referee James Oldham to point to the spot. Fejiri made no mistakes converting from 12-yards. 

Both sides continued to create chances and Lokilo continued to be Rovers’ best outlet with Coppinger and Ravenhill both going close from crosses while Jones made an excellent save to deny Silva a second from close range.  

Rovers made a change at half-time with Joe Wright coming on to replace Brad Halliday at right back. His first contribution to the game was to win a free kick in a dangerous position and give Rovers their first chance of the half as Ed Williams headed just over from the cross. 

Silva continued to look a threat. Brilliant footwork by the striker saw him turn away from John and Butler but his shot wasn’t quite as composed, and he fired wide of Jones’ post. 

Rovers best play continued to come down the right-hand side. Coppinger’s ball in from the right required an important touch from the Wolves defence to stop it being tapped in by a queue of players in red and white. Lokilo’s cross was flashed wide by Okenabirhie and Wright’s ball in caused chaos without troubling keeper Ruddy. 

Wolves side always carried a threat though and every attack looked dangerous. Intelligent defending from Butler pressurised Theo Corbeanu into shooting wide while John was snuffing out plenty of attacks around the edge of the box.  

The slick passing that had been the hallmark of both sides early on began to fade as the match wore on and both sides started to tire. It seemed both teams were resigned to penalties which was evident with Rovers introduction of skipper Ben Whiteman for Ravenhill. 

But Wolves were clinical with their chances and when Silva found himself one-on-one with Jones – he left the goalkeeper with no chance as he fired confidently into the net in the 88th minute to snatch the points and knock Rovers out of the competition. 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account