Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Rovers 3-1 Hull City

31 July 2012

Sponsored by

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 at the Keepmoat Stadium, DoncasterPre-Season Friendly


Attendance –

Referee – Mr M Oliver


The Rovers appeared in all white as against Hull City’s all gold at the Keepmoat in another pre-season friendly. Rob Jones made his debut for the Rovers after his move from Sheffield Wednesday. The Rovers defended the South Stand end and had the kick off.


The visitors were first on to the attack in the 2nd minute with Aluko’s 25yard effort taking a deflection for a corner, which was cleared. Hull were enjoying the majority of the play and in the 8th minute recorded the first goal. Stewart, on the Hull right, hit a low ball to the near post where JONES tried to sidefoot it out for a corner but only succeeded in putting it inside the post. In the 10th minute more misfortune for the Rovers came when Husband brought down Aluko just inside the penalty area. The referee pointed to the penalty spot, Cairney stepped up and blasted the ball against the underside of the bar and then saw it bounce away. Eventually the Rovers began to settle down and in the 19th minute a Cotterill free kick from the left went through to the keeper. Amos seemed to see it late but diving to his left he managed to keep hold of it. Still the visitors were having the best of the possession but couldn’t make it pay. In the 25th minute Husband got away down the Rovers left and hit a thunderous drive from just inside the area and only just over the bar. The Rovers were forced into a change in the 28th minute when Blake came off and was replaced by Syers. Almost immediately he got the ball in mid-pitch and fed Bennett on the left but his shot from the edge of the area was blocked.  Minutes later Jones appeared from nowhere to block a shot from Proschwitz, who originally had only Woods to beat. As time ran down to the break the game evened out but neither side troubled the keepers at this stage.


Half Time – Doncaster Rovers 0 Hull City 1


Hull set the ball rolling in the second half, with the Rovers having made three substitutions, Keegan, Hawley and Coppinger replacing Stock, Brown and Cotterill. The visitors set their stall out to keep possession but the Rovers were equal to it. A good run by Bennett brought a corner to the Rovers three minutes into the half but this was cleared. A few minutes later and Dawson hit a pile driver from the Hull left that Gary Woods tipped over for a corner, which produced another corner but this one was cleared. Then a couple of minutes later and Cairney blazed over from a 30yard free kick. Then, in the 56th minute, Martin WOODS collected the ball halfway in the Hull half on the Rovers right. He cut inside beating a couple of defenders before rifling the ball low into the net from 25yards. The substitutions were coming thick and fast now. In the 64th minute Bennett went down the Rovers left and shot across the face of goal and out. Play had equalised out and in the 75th minute the Rovers added a third goal when Bennett slotted a ball through for Hawley to run on to. Amos beat his shot away but it fell to MORGAN-SMITH, who shot into the empty net. Unfortunately Amos was injured and was eventually carried off, with Jakupovic replacing him. The Rovers were now enjoying good possession and in the 82nd minute were awarded a penalty when Bradley brought Bennett down in full flow on goal. Martin WOODS put the spot kick to the keeper’s left as he dived right and the Rovers were well in front. The match ran down to it’s close and a fine victory over Championship Hull City was achieved.


Teams – ROVERS – Gary Woods; Paul Quinn, Rob Jones, Tommy Spurr, James Husband; David Cotterill, Brian Stock, Martin Woods, Kyle Bennett; Robbie Blake, Chris Brown

Subs used – David Syers for Blake 28 mins; Paul Keegan for Stock 46 mins; Karl Hawley for Brown 46 mins; James Coppinger for Cotterill 46 mins; Amari Morgan-Smith for Quinn 59 mins;

Subs not used – Liam Wakefield, Jordan Ball, Paddy Mullen, Jake McCormick,  Jon Maxted gk


Hull City – Ben Amos; Joe Dudgeon, Alex Bruce, Liam Cooper, Andy Dawson; Sone Aluko, Mark Fotheringham, Paul McKenna, Tom Cairney, Cameron Stewart; NickProschwitz

Subs used – Aaron McLean for Stewart 59 mins; Jay Simpson for Aluko 59 mins; Sonny Bradley for Alex Bruce 62 mins; Conor Townsend for McKenna 68 mins; Eldin Jakupovic for Amos 79 mins; Jamie Devitt for Proschwitz 80 mins; Mark Callen Cooper 86 mins;


Subs not used – Danny East

Advertisement block