Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Rovers 0 -1 AFC Bournemouth

10 November 2012

Sponsored by

Harry Arter scored the only goal of the game, in the first half, to seal the points for Bournemouth.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 at the Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster

npower League 1

Doncaster Rovers 0 AFC Bournemouth 1

Referee – Mr Darren Bond                                                                                                                            

Attendance - 5951   

The Rovers made four changes following the defeat at home to Crewe Alexandra. Rob Jones was out with a head injury he received in that game, with Andy Griffin coming in at right back and Paul Quinn moving to centre half. Sammy Clingan, David Cotterill and Chris Brown also started replacing Paul Keegan, David Syers and Martin Woods.The visitors, Bournemouth, made one change following their win over Shrewsbury Town, Steve Cook replacing Simon Francis.

The visitors set the game in motion and attacked, winning a couple of corners in the first five minutes but nothing came from them. The visitors had the better of the opening fifteen minutes but only had a thirty yarder from Grabban that was easily saved and a free kick from Daniels that went wide to show for it. In the 20th minute, the Rovers, now warmed to their task, got down their right where Cotterill put in a high cross for Paynter to volley goalwards.  It rebounded back off a defender on to Paynter and over the bar.Four minutes later and a cross from the Bournemouth right by Grabban was headed wide at the far post by Barnard. The Rovers won their first corner in the 27th minute but nothing came from it. At the other end Arter got in a tame shot that Woods saved easily. Then good work on the Rovers right between Cotterill and Griffin gave Hume chance to cross from the byline but he put it behind the goal.. Past the half hour and Hume crossed from the right, Brown headed down for Paynter but James was out quickly to get to the ball first. Successive corners to the visitors brought no reward, with Elphick heading wide at the far post from the second one.  In the 36th minute, Husband on the Rovers left, passed inside to Hume in the penalty area but his shot on the turn went wide of the far post. Again, good football down the Rovers right led to Cotterill firing wide from 25 yards. The Rovers had their best spell of the game but were dealt a hard blow in the 38th minute when Bournemouth attacked down the right where Grabban crossed inside to Arter. Brown had raced back and nearly stolen the ball from the Bournemouth man but failed although he made ARTER scuff his shot from the edge of the penalty. It went across the keeper, hit the far post and bounced into the net. The Rovers tried to hit back but the break came with the visitors holding a one-goal lead.

Half Time – Doncaster Rovers 0 AFC Bournemouth 1

The Rovers got the second half underway and attacked from the word go. Three minutes in and Griffin crossed from the right, the ball skimmed off Brown’s head and Husband, coming in behind, did well to get in a reflex header that went wide. Then Paynter collecting the ball on the left, cut across the pitch before shooting from 30yards and putting wide. In the 54th minute, the Rovers were awarded a free kick just outside the angle of the penalty area on the right. Cotterill took it and Hume back-headed the ball over the bar. At the other end Barnard fed Arter but he shot wide from 20 yards. Then, either side of the hour, Bournemouth had a couple of half chances. The first came when they were awarded a free kick in a central position just outside the penalty area. McQuoid took the kick, cleared the wall but Woods was there to save. Then a cross from the visitors’ right went begging across the face of goal, with Pugh waiting at the far post but Griffin got between him and the ball and put out for a corner. The Rovers then had another good spell but couldn’t find a way through on goal. As the last fifteen minutes came up the Rovers pressed hard but despite their efforts James, in the visiting goal, wasn’t troubled.

Result – Doncaster Rovers 0 AFC Bournemouth 1 (Arter 38)

Teams – ROVERS – Gary Woods; Paul Quinn, Andy Griffin, Tommy Spurr ©, James Husband; David Cotterill, James Harper, Sammy Clingan; Billy Paynter, Chris Brown, Iain Hume

Subs used - David Syers for Cotterill 69 mins; Robbie Blake for Paynter 79 mins;

Subs not used –Martin Woods, Michael Woods, Liam Wakefield, Paul Keegan, Neil Sullivan gk

Bournemouth – David James; Steve Cook, Miles Addison ©, Tommy Elphick, Charlie Daniels; Josh McQuoid, Shaun MacDonald, Harry Arter, Marc Pugh; Lee Barnard, Lewis Grabban

Subs used  - Wes Thomas for McQuoid 71 mins; Wes Fogden for Barnard 79 mins; Steve Fletcher for Grabban 90+2 mins;

Subs not used – Matt Tubbs, Donal McDermott, Eunan O’Kane, Shwan Jamal gk

Advertisement block