Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth End Season On A High!

15 April 2013

Sponsored by

Doncaster Rovers Youth Team finished off their season in fine style, guaranteeing at least a runners up spot, on Saturday with a 2–1 victory over local rivals Scunthorpe United.

Rovers got off to a flying start and in the 1st minute a close range shot from Alex Peterson was blocked by the Iron defence.



In the 3rd minute a cross from Evan Finnegan was met by Peterson and he looped the ball into the net over the stranded Scunthorpe ‘keeper.


Chances kept coming for the Rovers with shots being blocked by the opposition defence before Chris Whincop went through on goal however he could only drag his shot just wide of the target.


Wave after wave of attack finally saw Alex Peterson add his second in the 23rd minute; he latched onto Billy Whitehouse’s through ball to smash the ball past the keeper.


Scunthorpe had a rare attack and gained a corner which was cleared comfortably by the Rovers defence. Jordan Binns headed over from a Harry Middleton free kick and Billy Whitehouse cut inside to fire just over as the first half ended with Rovers two goals to the good.


Rovers expected the Scunthorpe attack to have more of a threat in the second half and true to form Callum Myers was called into action to save a shot from distance before Scott Brown and Mitchell Lund both made blocks from good efforts.


In the 70th minute Evan Finnegan was harshly judged to have handled inside the box with no danger to the Rovers goal. Scunthorpe scored from the resulting spot and tried to gain some momentum from the goal.


Rovers held out to finish what has been a very hard working team effort throughout the season, losing only 3 games, and continuing from the runners up spot achieved last season.


Paul Wilson and Paul Stancliffe both were quick to praise the standards that the boys have set both on and off the field throughout the season.


“To finish runners up, for the 2nd year running, would be a good achievement but we must now wait till Tuesday to see the final outcome of the league table.”  




Advertisement block