Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

A Moment In History

27 August 2013

Sponsored by

We look back at one moment in Rovers' history as we prepare for the League Cup.

Our opponents from West Yorkshire come to Doncaster on the back of a good away win at Ipswich at the weekend with Rovers looking to make it four games without defeat.

Looking back over the matches played between the sides it’s hard to look past the one time the clubs met on neutral ground, Wembley, in the League One playoff final back in 2008.

Some would say that Gary McCallister’s side were the favourites going into the massive game but the club from South Yorkshire had other ideas and went to the capital full of confidence after smashing five past Southend United in the semi final second leg. 

From the kick off it was Rovers in the ascendancy and it took just eight minutes for the first effort of note to be struck, Leeds looked particularly vulnerable on the flanks and Rovers looked to capitalise and Jason Price arguably could have done better after being found in space but the striker flashed his shot over. 

Shortly after, Richie Wellens hit the side netting with Price and James Hayter in arguably a better position to receive the ball in the box.  It really was one way traffic as Rovers continued to press and Leeds had their ‘keeper Casper Ankergren to thank for the game remaining goalless as he first denied James Coppinger and then Hayter. 

Just before the break Leeds flashed a shot over the bar as Jonny Howson tried his luck from range but Neil Sullivan had it covered. 

As the second half got underway it couldn’t have got better for Sean O Driscoll’s men, Hayter being the man on the spot to head home from around 12 yards and it was no more than they deserved following their first half dominance. 

As time wore on the side from West Yorkshire were to get more frustrated as they just couldn’t break the resolute Rovers rearguard and were reduced to mainly shots from outside the box. Howson again shot over before finally Jermaine Beckford was able to wriggle free to shoot from a narrow angle but Sullivan reacted well to save. 

As the Wembley clock showed 80 minutes had passed the side from Elland Road threw all they could at Rovers but they should have known better, it hadn’t worked for almost all the game and Rovers weren’t going to give up. It just wasn’t to be for McCallister’s men and the traveling army of Rovers supporters had seen their dream of a return to the second tier become a reality at the home of English football to cap off what really was a memorable League campaign.

Advertisement block