Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Charlton 1 Rovers 3 - Match Abandoned

24 August 2013

Sponsored by

Referee Lee Collins abandoned the game on the grounds of the safety of the players after torrential downpours throughout the day.

Attendance - N/A
Referee - Mr Lee Collins                                                                                                                         
Charlton Athletic 1 Doncaster Rovers 3   Match Abandoned at Half Time                                                                           
Skybet League Championship                                                                                            
August 2013 at The Valley, Charlton                                                                                      thSaturday, 24

The Rovers travelled to The Valley Ground to play Charlton Athletic on a warm but wet, drizzly afternoon. The Rovers were unchanged from Tuesday night’s game at Wigan whilst Charlton made three changes from their game at Barnsley last Saturday. Leon Cort, Jordan Cousins for his starting debut and Bradley Pritchard came in for Dorian Dervite, Lawrie Wilson and Dale Stephens.

Rovers, in their black and blue horizontal stripes, defended the Jimmy Seed Stand end where their fans were housed. The Rovers, in their first attack in the 2nd minute, produced a fine goal to take the lead when Coppinger crossed from the right for KEEGAN to head into the back of the net from 15yards. Then, the rain started on to an already saturated pitch causing water to splash up from the players’ feet. In the 5th minute, Robinson on the left angle of the penalty area had a good shot saved by Hamer at the near post.

At the other end Harriott had a go from 30 yards but Turnbull saved. Then Robinson, on the Rovers right, had a go from the right but put into the sidenet. A long ball from the Charlton half into an unoccupied Rovers half had Church chasing but Turnbull got there first to clear. In the 14th minute, a cross from Harriott on the Charlton left to the far post was met with a terrific drive from Pritchard that Turnbull beat away at the post. Charlton then won the game’s first corner but it was cleared.

Then, in the 17th minute, the Rovers added another goal when Robinson got to the left byline and hit a low cross into the middle for BROWN to run into the net. Minutes later and Harriott received whilst unmarked on the home left and from 15yards hit a thunderous drive that Turnbull tipped over the bar. Gower placed the corner to the far post where Kermorgant got a good header on target but Turnbull tipped it away. In the 23rd minute, the Rovers won a corner, which Cotterill placed to the penalty spot area for Brown to head goalwards. It was cleared but hit BROWN in the face and rebounded into the net. Charlton hit back and Solly, on the home right, put over a cross that Kermorgant headed well wide. 

Then, in the 27th minute, the referee was called across to have a word with Chris Powell. The conversation was obviously about the issue of whether the match should carry on because of the saturated pitch. After some minutes the referee took the players off and an announcement was made that a pitch inspection would take place in thirty minutes.

In the meantime the groundstaff did their best to get rid of the surface water. The Rovers players even came out forks and brushes in hand to help. The inspection took place at 3.50pm and it was announced that the match would resume in five minutes. The rain had stopped by the time of the resumption. The match resumed with 18 and a half minutes left a throw-in to the Rovers on their right halfway in the Charlton half. 

The rain now resumed but not as heavy. Past the half hour and the Rovers won a corner but nothing came from it. In the 37th minute Keegan was cautioned for a foul on Kermorgant. The free kick was partly cleared and the back line moved out leaving Church on his own on the six yard line. Inadvertently the ball was passed back by a blue shirt without touching anybody and CHURCH put it into the net in the 38th minute. The Rovers hit back straight away when Robinson fired into the net but he was ruled offside. Minutes later and Harriott had a go from 25yards but Turnbull saved. 

Then, in the 43rd minute, Keegan was booked again for a foul and, being his second of the game, he had a long walk back to the dressing room. Into added time and a free kick on the Rovers right was put into the middle by Husband. Two Charlton defenders failed to clear and the ball dropped at Brown’s feet but, in the sticky goalmouth, he couldn’t get it from under his feet and the chance was lost. The rain had stopped.

Half Time – Charlton Athletic 1 Doncaster Rovers 3

Match Abandoned at Half Time

Teams – Charlton Athletic – Ben Hamer; Chris Solly, Rhoys Wiggins, Michael Morrison, Leon Cort; Bradley Pritchard, Jordan Cousins, Mark Gower, Callum Harriott; Simon Church, Yann Kermorgant                                                                                                                            
Subs used -                                                                                                                             
Subs not used – Cedric Evina, Dorian Dervite, Danny Green, Marvin Sordell, Joe Pigott, Lawrie Wilson, Nick Pope gk

Doncaster Rovers – Ross Turnbull; Reece Wabara, Bongani Khumalo, Rob Jones ©, James Husband; David Cotterill, Paul Keegan, Richie Wellens, James Coppinger; Theo Robinson, Chris Brown                                                                                                                            
Subs used -                                                                                                                                   

Subs not used – Paul Quinn, Dean Furman, David Syers, Mark Duffy, Billy Paynter, Luke McCullough, Jon Maxted gk                                                                                                 

Caution – Keegan 37 mins; Keegan 43 mins;                                                                            

Sent Off – Keegan 43 mins;

Advertisement block