Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Hartlepool United 0 Rovers 1

21 August 2013

Sponsored by

Rovers reserve team played their second Central League East Division game against Hartlepool United at Billingham Town’s ground.

The home team had the better of the first half hour. Jon Maxted easily saved a shot from distance by Boagey for Hartlepool in the 18th minute and five minutes later consecutive corners to Hartlepool saw Jones put his glancing header wide.

Just before the half hour Wignall tried a chip shot from around thirty yards however Maxted was equal to it and caught it easily. Past the half hour and a good run by Forrester ended with his shot going just wide from 25 yards. 

Following this Forrester and Finnegan combined on the left giving the former a shot from 25 yards however he saw his shot go just past the far post. Forrester was substituted just before the half time break and was replaced by first year pro Harry Middleton. In the 42nd minute Middleton made a run down the right channel before hitting a low shot just past the far post. 

The home side shaded possession but it was Rovers who had the better of the chances in a half where neither goalkeeper had been unduly troubled.

Hartlepool United 0 Doncaster Rovers 0

Rovers started the second half where they had left on in the first half with Peterson seeing his shot saved by the keeper in the first minute.

Rafferty, in the Hartlepool goal , was called into action twice in the following minute to field the ball. Bennett, in the 52nd minute was fouled in a central position about 30yards out and took the free kick himself however he saw his attempt go wide. 

Then, following a good move, Syers had a shot blocked on the edge of the area. In the 56th minute, Rae went down the inside right channel for Hartlepool but his final shot was weak and easily saved. 

The stalemate was eventually broken in the 62nd minute when Finnegan was brought down on the Rovers left near the corner flag. Whincop placed the kick to the far post where McCULLOUGH volleyed into the net. 

Rovers were well in control of the game.

In the 79th minute Rodney had a go from the edge of the penalty area but put wide. Then Payne and Peterson combined to give the latter a crack from the right of the penalty area but Rafferty pushed it out for a corner. Time ran down to the close with a succession of corners to the Rovers but no further scores were made.

Result – Hartlepool United 0 Doncaster Rovers 1

Teams – Hartlepool United – Andy Rafferty; Michael Duckworth, Daniel Jones, Josh Rowbotham, Sam Collins ©, Jordan Richards, Zak Boagey, Michael Rae, Nialle Rodney, Greg Rutherford, Ben Wignall

Subs used – Tom Mitchinson for Wignall 57 mins; Connor Halpin for Collins 78 mins;

Subs not used – Josh Nearney, Connor Smith, Mark Foden gk

Doncaster Rovers – Jon Maxted; Jordan Binns, Liam Wakefield, Luke McCullough, Evan Finnegan; Kyle Bennett, David Syers ©, James Harper, Harry Forrester; Chris Whincop, Alex Peterson

Subs used – Harry Middleton for Forrester 36 mins; Sanchez Payne for Bennett 58 mins; Josh Meade for Syers 86 mins;

Subs not used - Scott Brown, Jack McClaren gk

Advertisement block