Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Rovers 1 Leeds Utd 3

27 August 2013

Sponsored by

Rovers were knocked out of the Capital One Cup after a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Leeds United at Keepmoat Stadium.

August 2013 at the Keepmoat Stadium, DoncasterthTuesday, 27

Capital One League Cup, 2nd Round

Doncaster Rovers 1 Leeds United 3

Referee – Mr Scott Mathieson

Attendance – 10,890 (3,770 visitors)

A fine, warm evening welcomed Leeds United to the Keepmoat Stadium for this 2nd Round League Cup tie. 

Rovers made one change from Saturday’s abortive match at Charlton, Dean Furman coming in for the suspended Paul Keegan. 

Leeds introduced their new signing from Manchester United, Scott Wootton, in their starting line-up. The Rovers defended the South Stand end in the first half. 

Rovers set the ball rolling and went immediately on the attack. Two minutes in and Wootton cleared off the goal-line. Continuing the attack Brown shot over the bar from the edge of the penalty area. Five minutes later and another good build-up by the Rovers enabled Wellens to shoot low through a crowded area but Kenny saved.  

Rovers were doing all the attacking at this stage and won a corner but nothing came from it. In the 13th minute, Leeds got in their first attack, with McCormack putting a shot from 30 yards well over the bar. Then a cross from Mowatt on the Leeds left was punched off the heads of a group of players by Turnbull but only as far as McCormack just inside the penalty area but he shot high over the bar. 

Minutes later a corner to the visitors was cleared. Just before the half hour, a free kick to Leeds on their left from Drury to the far post was headed goalwards by Smith but Turnbull saved. 

Just past the half hour and a good build-up on the Rovers left led to Husband crossing for Coppinger to get in a good header that Kenny had to dive full length to his left to save. 

Leeds were having most of the play as the last ten minutes came up. A corner for them came to nothing then a cross from the left by Poleon was headed on goal by Smith but was cleared out to Peltier, who fired wide from 20yards. 

Another corner to Leeds in the 41st minute was cleared out to the Leeds left where Drury crossed to the far post for Austin to head on goal. It beat Turnbull and hit the underside of the bar but WOOTTON came in and headed into the net. Poleon then shot wide from 16yards. The break came with Leeds going in with a one-goal lead

Half Time – Doncaster Rovers 0 Leeds United 1

Mark Duffy came on at the start of the second half for James Coppinger, who had taken a hard knock from Pearce in the first half, who was booked for a bad tackle. Five minutes into the half and Tonge put a through ball to McCormack on the Leeds right. He shot from the side of the penalty area and Turnbull saved. 

Minutes later and Cotterill shot high and wide from 30yards on the Rovers left. Just before the hour and a corner to the visitors came out of the defence to Mowatt, who crossed to the middle for Smith to head over the bar. 

Just past the hour and Smith had an open goal in front of him, Turnbull having come out in an effort to clear, but under challenge, he stabbed the ball wide. 

In the 62nd minute, however, Rovers were level when Cotterill, on the Rovers left, put over a right footed cross that PAYNTER glanced with his head into the far corner of the net. 

Five minutes on and Smith, for Leeds, spun off his marker and hit a fierce drive from the edge of the area that Turnbull saved well. Then a patient build-up by Rovers led to Brown chipping for goal from 20yards but putting just over the bar. 

A corner to Leeds in the 70th minute was headed over the bar by Smith at the far post and Poleon followed this with a shot from the Leeds left going wide of the near post. 

At the other end Cotterill put a 30yard effort straight at Kenny, who made the save. It had been a good spell by Rovers but in the 77th minute Leeds played the ball from the left to the right flank for Peltier to cross to the middle where SMITH leant over his marker and into the net from close range. 

Two minutes later and Wabara was adjudged to have fouled Drury in the penalty area and a penalty was awarded. McCORMACK duly sent Turnbull the wrong way and slotted into the net. 

Harry Forrester came on for his first team debut and immediately put over a good cross but it was just too high for Brown to get to. Austin, for Leeds, spurred on by the Leeds fans shot well wide from 35yards and a corner to the Rovers in the 90th minute came to nothing. 

Three minutes of added time passed and the final whistle went on a hard fought ‘derby’ game.

Result – Doncaster Rovers 1 (Paynter) Leeds United 3 (Wootton 41 Smith 77 McCormack pen 79)

Teams – ROVERS – Ross Turnbull; Reece Wabara, Bongani Khumalo, Rob Jones ©, James Husband; James Coppinger, Richie Wellens, Dean Furman, David Cotterill; Theo Robinson, Chris Brown

Subs used – Mark Duffy for Coppinger 46 mins; Billy Paynter for Robinson 60 mins; Harry Forrester for Furman 79 mins;

Subs not used – Paul Quinn, David Syers, Luke McCullough, Jon Maxted gk

Caution – Brown 23 mins

Leeds United – Paddy Kenny; Lee Peltier, Scott Wootton, Jason Pearce, Adam Drury; Michael Tonge, Rodolph Austin ©, Alex Mowatt, Dominic Poleon; Ross McCormack, Matt Smith

Subs used – Luke Murphy for Mowatt 74 mins;

Subs not used – Noel Hunt, Aidan White, Michael Brown, El Hadji Diouf, Ryan Hall, Jamie Ashdown gk

Caution– Pearce 26 mins

Advertisement block