Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Rovers v Ipswich

26 December 2013

Sponsored by


Saturday, 26th December 2013 at the Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster

Skybet League Championship


Referee – Mr Tony Harrington

Attendance – 7,753 (936 visitors)

Doncaster Rovers set the game going but it was the visitors who got the first strike on goal after the initial skirmishes when Murphy, with a clear sight of goal from 16 yards, had his shot blocked by Turnbull with his legs.

Rovers followed five minutes later when Robinson, from the left corner of the penalty area had an effort on goal, but Gerken saved comfortably.

General midfield play ensued before Murphy, on the Ipswich left, crossed for McGoldrick to get in a header from ten yards that Turnbull saved with ease.

In the 24th minute Ipswich won a corner on the left, which was headed in from close range by McGOLDRICK, to put the visitors in front.

Five minutes later Ipswich doubled their lead, a repeat effort from a corner on the Ipswich right by Tunnicliffe was headed in, unchallenged by CHAMBERS.

Rovers began to have more of the play as time went on and in the 39th minute were awarded a free kick in a central position 25 yards out for a foul on Duffy.   He took it himself and rattled the crossbar full on, with the ball bouncing back into play and cleared.

Minutes later and a good build-up on the Rovers right gave Robinson a chance of a shot but he fired wide of the near post.

Half Time – Doncaster Rovers 0 Ipswich Town 2

Rovers had the better of the early minutes in the second half, but then found themselves another goal down in the 51st minute when their defence was caught short at the back. 

Murphy, on the Ipswich left, passed inside to McGOLDRICK, who rounded a defender before shooting past Turnbull for a third goal.

The visitors had the ball in the net for a fourth time, three minutes later when a 3 on 1 situation gave Murphy a shot with only Turnbull to beat. The keeper got a hand to it and Nouble followed up to put into the empty net but was flagged offside. 

McGoldrick then had an effort from 20yards but Turnbull saved diving to his left and then the keeper was in action again a couple of minutes later to tackle Nouble, who put the ball wide.

Past the hour and a cross from the Rovers left was met by Peterson at the far post but he glanced his header wide.

Rovers made their substitutions during the next ten minutes and tried hard as time began to run down to salvage something from the game. 

A cross from Cotterill was headed wide by Peterson and a corner came to nothing but otherwise their efforts foundered on a solid Ipswich defence.

Result – Doncaster Rovers 0 Ipswich Town 3 (McGoldrick 24 51 Chambers 29)

Teams – ROVERS – Ross Turnbull; Paul Quinn, Liam Wakefield, Luke McCullough, Yun Suk-Young; Mark Duffy, Richie Wellens ©, Harry Forrester, Dean Furman; Theo Robinson, Federico Macheda

Subs used – Alex Peterson for Macheda 53 mins; David Cotterill for Forrester 70 mins; Kyle Bennett for Robinson 73 mins;

Subs not used – Martin Woods, Mark de Val, Enda Stevens, Jon Maxted gk

Caution - Quinn 80 mins;

Ipswich Town – Dean Gerken; Luke Chambers ©, Christophe Berra, Tommy Smith, Aaron Cresswell; Cole Skuse, Luke Hyam, Ryan Tunnicliffe; Frank Nouble, David McGoldrick, Daryl Murphy

Subs used – Jordan Graham for Nouble 74 mins; Paul Taylor for McGoldrick 83 mins; Paul Anderson for Murphy 90+1 mins;

Subs not used – Carlos Edwards, Tyrone Mings, Jay Tabb, Scott Loach gk

Advertisement block