Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Rovers v Millwall

29 December 2013

Sponsored by

Rovers 0 Millwall 0

Sunday, 29th December 2013 at the Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster

Skybet Football League


Referee – Mr Kevin Wright

Attendance – 6,454 (408 visitors)

Rovers made a number of changes from Boxing Day’s defeat to Ipswich, with Enda Stevens, Martin Woods, David Cotterill and Alex Peterson replacing Yun Suk-Young, Harry Forrester, Federico Macheda and Theo Robinson, gearing up for a “six-pointer” against Millwall.

In the 11th minute, Steve Morison for Millwall, got in a strike from 20yards to the right of goal, but put it high and wide.

A good spell of possession by Rovers led to Mark Duffy having a shot blocked and the follow-up by Dean Furman was also cleared.

In the 24th minute a corner to the visitors was punched away by Ross Turnbull and eventually out for another corner, which was cleared off the line at the far post by Cotterill. 

Just past the half hour and a poor clearance out of the Rovers defence went straight to Millwall’s Martin Woolford on the edge of the penalty area, but he fired wide from a central position.

A good spell by Millwall had Rovers defending staunchly. In the 35th minute Nicky Bailey had a go from 30yards that Turnbull saved comfortably.

Then, minutes later, Bailey had another go from just outside the penalty area but couldn’t find the target.

With five minutes to go Rovers began to hit back. Wellens went on a good run before feeding Cotterill on the left. His cross to the far post was headed on to the roof of the net by Wakefield.

Moments later Duffy played a ball inside to Wellens, who teed up Furman to strike from 20yards out. His left foot shot had Forde going full length to his right to push away. 

Half Time – Doncaster Rovers 0 Millwall 0

The visitors got the second half underway and went straight on to the attack.  Bailey got to the right byline before crossing past the far post where Malone headed the ball on to the roof of the net.

Indeterminate midfield play followed before Woods spotted Forde off his line and tried his luck from 35yards but put his effort just over the bar.

At the other end McDonald fired over the bar from 25yards as play switched back and forth.

The 72nd minute saw Duffy cut in from the right before hitting a left foot shot wide from 20yards.

As the last ten minutes came up Wellens, on the Rovers left, hit a right foot shot from 20yards that Forde fielded comfortably.

In the 85th minute, Macheda got to the left angle of the penalty area before curling a low shot for the far bottom corner but the ball hit the post and bounced back into play.

The 90th minute brought a good save from Forde, who tipped away a terrific free kick by Duffy from 30 yards.

Three minutes of added time was played but the Rovers couldn’t find the net despite pressing hard.

Result – Doncaster Rovers 0 Millwall 0

Teams – ROVERS – Ross Turnbull; Liam Wakefield, Paul Quinn, Luke McCullough, Enda Stevens; David Cotterill, Richie Wellens ©, Dean Furman, Martin Woods, Mark Duffy; Alex Peterson

Subs used – Federico Macheda for Peterson 67 mins; Theo Robinson for Woods 67 mins; 

Subs not used – Mark de Val, Kyle Bennett, Harry Forrester, Yun Suk-Young, Jon Maxted gk

Caution – Furman 15 mins; 

Millwall – David Forde; Alan Dunne, Steve Morison, Nicky Bailey, Martyn Woolford, Shane Lowry, Mark Beevers, Richard Chaplow, Nadjim Abdou, Scott McDonald, Scott Malone

Subs used – Lee Martin for Chaplow 76 mins; Jermaine Easter for McDonald 81 mins; 

Subs not used – Josh Wright, Jack Smith, Justin Hoyte, Fred Onyedinma, Stephen Bywater gk

Caution – Dunne 90+2 mins;

Advertisement block