Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Tough Test Against the Glovers

21 February 2013

Sponsored by

Rovers face a tricky game this weekend against a Yeovil Town team hot on our heels in the race for promotion, as they were back in February 2007 when they made the trip to South Yorkshire.

Rovers had been hit with a mini injury crisis and Sean O Driscoll was without the services of Paul Heffernan, Mark McCammon, James Coppinger and on loan full back Alan Wright for the game. He did manage to his patch up a side that did the club proud and probably should have taken all three points in what ended as a fascinating draw.



The Glovers never really got to grips with their hosts throughout the game and the performance of their ‘keeper Steve Mildenhall was arguably the sole reason they were to leave the game with anything. He made a terrific save from Jason Price’s shot after he had latched onto a lovely ball from Paul Green to make his first stop of many in the game.


Jonathan Forte played in Lewis Guy moments later but an unlucky deflection sent the ball skipping just past the frame of the goal. Rovers kept the foot on the pedal as skipper Graeme Lee twice went close before the break, first his volley from Brian Stock’s free kick was hacked off the line before Mildenhall was there to somehow keep the ball out from the resulting corner with a fantastic stop.


In the second half defences were to be on top as neither side could get through the respective back lines. With twenty minutes left on the clock, Jason Price burst through only to this time find Nathan Jones in the way making a tremendous block tackle. With seconds left remaining in the game Lee made a foray forward as Rovers won a free kick deep into opposition territory, Stock curled the ball in and the skipper nodded it down where Green was waiting around eight yards out, he managed to get his shot on target but Mildenhall was there yet again to earn his side a share of the spoils.

Advertisement block