As a club we have an enormous responsibility to create an environment where passion, education and creating a love for the game is at the centre for everything we do.
Doncaster Rovers want to provide all players with a firm grounding in the fundamentals of the game, with emphasis on maximising ball contact within a structured session. The aim is to teach the techniques and tactics necessary to construct a highly skilled, possession‐based game. This promotes confidence in the player’s own ability and further facilitates their football and overall education.
Creating beliefs and values helps develop cohesion, support and direction. Football either at Grassroots or Academy level gives us the ability to create life learning and life changing experiences. Life Skills through football at a young age should be geared towards stimulating the player's ability to create and appreciate the game. Our goals are to grow players both as individuals and as football players.
For our players the environment needs to be challenging, motivating and fun. It will require a commitment on their part and the parents must be prepared to support their child’s commitment.
Our goal is to prepare our players for the future, both on and off the field. We teach them the fundamentals of football. Ball handling skills, passing and positioning on the field is stressed over and over again, as these techniques are critical for success in all levels of the game. Equally, if not more importantly we re‐enforce non‐specific skills such as communication, teamwork, time‐management, responsibility, discipline and respect for all players.
“Made in Doncaster”
To create a culture of hard work, high standards and discipline and CHARACTER
- •Creative & Imaginative Players
- •Attractive & Adaptive Football
- •A Qualified, Experienced and Enthusiastic Workforce
- •Confident Players; In & Out of Possession
- •Teaching Games for Understanding
- •Environment which is safe and allows learning for individuals.
- •Respect for all.
The Academy adopts the club philosophy and playing style both in and out of possession.
Players are taught to master the ball from U7 and throughout the ages in order to be comfortable and able to play out from the back and through midfield playing for possession of the ball where appropriate.
At the Professional Development Phase the team are educated to play 1-4-2-3-1, 1-4-4-2 and a 1-4-3-3 the first team will use the same systems allowing the young players to integrate much more easy when practicing and playing with the first team.
Players are encouraged to play with freedom to express. The coaching programme shows a layered approach from U9 to U16 for developing understanding of these systems as well as producing a technician with the ball.
Out of possession players in the Pro Dev. Phase are taught to defend both with a high press and also to defend deep with emphasis on counter attack. First and foremost as this mirrors the styles of the first team but also as they are the demands of the modern game no matter who the player is playing for.
Academy Core Values
- •Our players will exhibit strong values, good character, be a good competitor and overall, be a good person.
- •Excellence – to create a culture of excellence through professionalism
- •Flexibility – to commit to adaptability and acceptance of change
- •Commitment – to take responsibility for my commitment towards meeting the Doncaster Rovers mission
- •Respect - to have the integrity to be open and honest and expect openness and honesty in return
- •Enjoyment – to create a challenge and fun experience
- •We will have strong links with the clubs community, local schools and the grassroots junior clubs.
- •An Academy which creates opportunities for people of Doncaster to play for THEIR club
The purpose of the academy is to identify, recruit & nurture players from within the local area and to coach and educate them to reach their maximum potential thereby giving them the very best chance of a career in football. We will undertake a holistic approach to the development of players through the provision of excellent and inspired coaching and other support services.
Academy staff will be approachable, accessible and honest with players and parents through frequent contact, monitoring of progress and transparent multi-disciplinary reporting.
Academy Mission Statement
- •To develop confident, home grown players “Made in Doncaster” capable of playing 1st team football. Players who value winning but not more than character and performance.
As a club we have an enormous responsibility to create an environment where passion, education and creating a love for the game is at the Centre for everything we do. Doncaster Rovers want to provide all players with a firm grounding in the fundamentals of the game, with emphasis on maximising ball contact within a structured session. The aim is to teach the techniques and tactics necessary to construct a highly skilled, possession‐based game. This promotes confidence in the player’s own ability and further facilitates their football and overall education.