Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers U18s 5 Hartlepool United U18s 0

19 March 2013

Sponsored by

Paul Stancliffe's U18s record an emphatic victory over Hartlepool United at Cantley Park.


Saturday, 16 March 2013 at Cantley Park, Doncaster                                                                                  

Football League Youth Alliance North East Conference                                                                           

DONCASTER ROVERS Youth 5 Hartlepool United Youth 0                                                                               

Referee – Mr L Floyd

This match was a top against bottom clash on a wet surface and a cold morning. The Rovers started well with Whitehouse, in the third minute, passing inside to Whincop but his shot was pushed out for a corner. At the other end a cross from Smith on the Hartlepool right was palmed away by Myers and cleared by his defence. In the 14th minute Whitehouse had a good shot from the edge of the penalty area fumbled by the keeper, Scott, the ball going out for a corner. Two minutes on and a great cross from Peterson, on the right, was met with a header by Whincop just inside the area but it went over the bar. The breakthrough came in the 24th minute when Middleton put a corner into the goalmouth. The referee blew and pointed to the penalty spot indicating that Nearney was pulling at Peterson’s shirt preventing him from going for the ball. MIDDLETON stepped up and duly planted the ball into the net. Four minutes later and the referee again pointed to the spot, this time for a penalty to Hartlepool, when Bridges was fouled. Walker took it but Myers, diving to his right, pushed it round the post for a corner. In the 33rd minute the Rovers increased their lead with a terrific goal from WHITEHOUSE. He received the ball around the angle of the penalty area on the left and hit it over the keeper, just off his line, into the far top corner of the net. Dominating the game, the Rovers added a third five minutes before the break when Whincop put in a good cross from the left for PETERSON to put into the net at the near post with a thumping header.

The Rovers picked up the second half where they had left off and three minutes in Whincop had a shot palmed away by the keeper and Middleton, following up, put over the bar. However, in the 51st minute, another terrific goal added to the Rovers score. Following a corner from their left, the ball came out to Mitchell LUND, on the edge of the area, from where his looping header went into the far top corner of the net for goal number four. Despite the visitors making their three substitutions goal number five arrived in the 55th minute when PETERSON thumped a terrific shot from the right into the far top corner. Past the hour and substitute Terrell, for the Rovers, was put through on goal but, as the keeper came out he lifted the ball over him and over the bar. The match was over as a contest with the Rovers running out winners by five clear goals, every one special.

Teams – ROVERS – Callum Myers; Mitchell Lund, Jacob Dawson, Harry Middleton, Jordan Binns, Scott Brown, Spencer Lund, Joshua Meade, Alex Peterson, Chris Whincop, Billy Whitehouse                    Subs used – Jack Steadman for Mitchell Lund 70 mins; Ryan Burnyeat for Peterson 75 mins; Callum Terrell for Whincop 58 mins;                                                                                                                                      Subs not used – Lewis Ferguson

Hartlepool United – Dominic Scott; Aaron Brown, Don Turner, Brad Walker, Josh Nearney, Ryan Tuck, Connor Smith, Rhyss Harbottle, Connor Halpin, Lewis Green, Andy Bridges                                          Subs used – Dylan Armstrong for Lewis Green 52 mins; Kieron Green for Bridges 52 mins; Callum Wood for Halpin 53 mins;                                                                                                                                                            Subs not used – Jon Carr, Mark Foden gk

Advertisement block