2013/14 Development Academy Information
For 2013/14 Doncaster Rovers will be running a new Player Development Academy for players aged U9-U13.
What is the Development Academy?
For the the players involved this will mean a comprehensive training program along with fixtures and periodic integration into training with the Academy. The programme will run from September to April (School Holidays excluded) throughout which time players will be periodically integrated with Academy players whilst at the same time receiving the full Academy training programme. The program is 1 year rolling program with the intention of developing young players to represent the Academy.
Who is Eligible?
This programme is for players aged U9-U13 who have been selected through the Centre for Excellence. All Players offered a place on this programme are offered a full season from September to April.
What do Development Academy Participants Do?
Players have minimum 2 training sessions per week with the Academy and play fixtures for the Academy every 2-3 weeks. The Coaches follow the same training programme and curriculum as the main Academy coaches. Academy coaches will make guest appearances to deliver part of the programme throughout the season. The Curriculum incorporates not only a technical syllabus but also each session is designed to develop a players psychological (thinking, decision making) ability, social & physical literacy (ABC’s) all in a fun learning environment. Players who are part of the Development Academy are signed players with Doncaster Rovers but may still play and train with a local grassroots club.
What are the goals of the Development Academy?
- To teach and refine individual skills, abilities and techniques.
- To challenge the players to take their newly acquired or perfected skills back to their club, and assist their teammates in learning them.
- To teach young players to make decisions in a game-like setting using the appropriate techniques, thereby improving their technical development.
- To integrate players into the Academy.
What are the Benefits of participating in the Development Academy?
- This developmental program will be “player centred” and not “coach controlled”. Specifically, the teaching focus concentrates on those “individual skills” as well as tactical introduction in all positions, needed to excel in football.
- Development as an individual player and team player
- The opportunity to train and play with players other talented players.
- Quality instructions from experienced, qualified Academy coaches.
- Opportunities to play against other Academies and Development Centres
- Tickets to Doncaster Rovers games.
This program will also allow each player to sign and play with a selected grassroots club but will not permit any player to train with any other organisation or professional club.