Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Charlton V Rovers

26 November 2013

Sponsored by

Charlton Athletic 2 Doncaster Rovers 0

Tuesday, 26th November 2013 at The Valley, Charlton

Skybet League Championship

Referee – Mr Simon Hooper

It was a fine but cold evening in South London, somewhat different to the weather in September that required us to travel down once again to complete the fixture.

Rovers made three changes from Friday’s starting line-up. In came James Coppinger, Marc de Val and Billy Paynter, with David Cotterill and Theo Robinson dropping to the bench and Dean Furman suspended.

Charlton kicked off and should have scored in the second minute when Church found himself on his own just outside the six –yard box to the right of goal with only Turnbull to beat but he fired wide of the far post.

In the 18th minute a good move down the Rovers right gave Macheda a chance to bring a save out of Alnwick, the Charlton keeper.

Then, a free kick, to the home team from a central position about 35yards out, was fired high over the bar by Kermorgant. 

In the 24th minute a low cross from the Charlton left was missed by several players of both sides and reached Kermorgant about 12 yards out but his shot hit a post and bounced away. 

Another low cross from the Charlton right followed. It was dummied by Church and ran to Jackson, who blasted in a shot from 15yards that was straight at Turnbull, who pushed it away.

In the 28th minute, a good run by Quinn down the Rovers right and a cross for Paynter was headed wide. 

General midfield play appertained for the next ten minutes or so before the deadlock was broken, out of the blue, by STEPHENS in the 40th minute, with a cracking effort from 25yards to the right of goal going into the far top corner

Two minutes on and Macheda was put in on goal but was then held up and despite twisting this way and that to escape the Charlton defenders he eventually fired high and wide.

The 45th minute brought a free kick to the Rovers on their right. Duffy placed it to the far post where Khumalo headed wide under challenge.

Straight to the other end and Stewart got to the right byline before hitting a low cross to the middle where Church and several Rovers defenders missed it as it rolled across the face of goal and away.

Half Time – Charlton Athletic 1 Doncaster Rovers 0

Rovers got the second half underway and pressed forward. In the 51st minute, a move from their own half by the Rovers led to Coppinger on the right passing inside to Wellens, whose chip shot under the bar was caught by Alnwick under challenge from Macheda. 

The 54th minute brought a foray down the Charlton right by Wilson, who cut in before firing from an angle for Turnbull to beat away.  The ball came out to Cousins who fired over the bar from 25 yards.

With the Rovers pressing for an equaliser they got caught short at the back on the hour and a through ball for CHURCH to run on to was taken on and slotted past Turnbull to put the Addicks two up. 

The home team stepped the pace up and Kermorgant put over the bar from 25yards. 

Cousins then had a crack from 20yards, which Turnbull tipped over and Stewart followed this with a thunderous shot against the bar from 25yards.

Duffy put a free kick wide from 30yards in the 76th minute.

In the 79th minute McCullough’s clearance was blocked about 8yards out. Church scuffed a shot on target, which Turnbull blocked and Stephens followed up from the same distance but Turnbull blocked it whilst still grounded. 

Rovers battled away and in the 86th minute, Wellens had a good run out of defence before giving to Robinson, who turned inside his marker and, from 20yards, hit a good shot that Alnwick had to dive to his left to palm away.

The second goal had been the killer and though the Rovers tried hard to the end they came away with nothing.

Result – Charlton Athletic 2 (Stephens 40, Church 60) Doncaster Rovers 0

Teams – Charlton Athletic – Ben Alnwick; Lawrie Wilson, Rhoys Williams, Michael Morrison, Dorian Dervite; Cameron Stewart, Jordan Cousins, Johnnie Jackson ©, Dale Stephens; Simon Church, Yann Kermorgant 

Subs used – Marvin Sordell for Church 80 mins; Andy Hughes for Jackson 90 mins; Danny Green for Stewart 90+2 mins;

Subs not used – Cedric Evina, Callum Harriott, Richard Wood, Joe Pigott

Caution – Jackson 75 mins;

ROVERS – Ross Turnbull, Paul Quinn, Bongani Khumalo, Luke McCullough, Reece Wabara; Mark Duffy, Richie Wellens, Marc De Val, James Coppinger; Federico Macheda, Billy Paynter

Subs used – Theo Robinson for Paynter 68 mins; Alex Peterson for De Val 76 mins; 

Subs not used – David Cotterill, Liam Wakefield, Kyle Bennett, Martin Woods, Jon Maxted gk

Caution – Wellens 8 mins;

Advertisement block