Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Hull City 2 Doncaster Rovers 1

12 November 2013

Sponsored by

Hull City Res 2 Doncaster Rovers Res 1

Monday, 11th November, 2013 at Grange Lane, North Ferriby

Central League East

Referee – Mr M Dwyer

A young Rovers side produced an excellent performance against a strong Hull side, who had beaten them convincingly at the Keepmoat earlier in the season. They were unlucky to lose to a highly debatable penalty and a defensive mistake, whilst scoring a good goal and twice having headers cleared off the line.

On a relatively mild but damp evening the home team were awarded a penalty in the 3rd minute for a foul in the penalty area. HENDERSON stepped up and fired past Maxted to put the Tigers in front. Two minutes later and following a Rovers’ corner Wakefield’s header was cleared off the line by Dixon. The game settled down into an even battle, with Middleton having a shot saved and Whincop shooting over from distance. Maxted then saved from Jahraldo-Martin but the home side notched another goal when the Rovers failed to clear their lines, with the result that ARMSTRONG got to the loose ball and shot into the net from close range in the 20th minute. 

Rovers hit back straight away when they forged down the field, Peterson laid the ball back to MIDDLETON, who rifled a low shot past the keeper from just outside the penalty area. Even play followed then, on the half hour, from another Rovers corner Wakefield’s header was cleared off the line by Clark. Clappison headed over from a corner for Hull and Fletcher put a shot over the bar. The break came with the Rovers well in contention.

Half Time-  Hull City Res 2 Doncaster Rovers 1

Hull came out on the attack at the start of the second half but the Rovers defence stood firm. The Rovers hit back, with Whincop having a shot saved. Five minutes in and Finnegan crossed from the left, Jakupovic pushed the ball away to Harper, who hit a fierce drive that was goalbound until Clappison got in the way. 

Hull then had a period of pressure over the next few minutes, with Wilson heading a cross from the left into the ground and the ball bouncing over the bar. Peterson put a header wide for the Rovers and Hull had a series of corners that were well defended. Binns then went up for a corner but headed over the bar in the 78th minute.

A hard fought game by two evenly matched sides played in a good spirit provided a good spectacle for the watching fans, with Hull City taking the points but only just.

Result - Hull City Res 2 (Henderson pen 3 Armstong 20) Doncaster Rovers 1 (Middleton 21)

Teams – Hull City – Eldin Jakupovic; Sam Topliss, Max Clark, Dougie Wilson, Ben Clappison, Will Aimson, Matthew Dixon, James Armstrong, Matthew Fletcher,Conor Henderson, Calaum Jahraldo-Martin

Subs used – Danny Chambers for Armstrong 65 mins; Paul McElroy for Jahraldo-Martin 77 mins; Jack Barlow for Fletcher 90+2 mins;

Subs not used – Nial Dorran, Leon Dawson, Rory Watson gk

Rovers – Jonathan Maxted; Andy Griffin, Liam Wakefield, Jordan Binns, Evan Finnegan; Mark de Val, James Harper, Harry Middleton, Joshua Meade; Chris Whincop, Alex Peterson

Subs used – Mitchell Lund for Finnegan 77 mins; Lewis Ferguson for Meade 79 mins;

Subs not used – Callum Terrell, Ben 

Advertisement block