Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Doncaster Rovers 0 Burnley 2

1 October 2013

Sponsored by

Doncaster Rovers 0 Burnley 2

 October 2013 at the Keepmoat Stadium, DoncasterstTuesday, 1

Sky Bet League Championship

Doncaster Rovers 0 Burnley 2

Referee – Mr Roger East

Attendance – 7,836 (1,385 visitors)

Rovers made two changes to their starting line-up, with James Coppinger and David Cotterill replacing Dean Furman and Theo Robinson, who drop to the bench. 

Burnley got the game in motion but, after each side had sounded each other out, it was the Rovers who got the first attempt at goal in the 8th minute. 

Good build-up play put Macheda in on goal but he was forced wide to the right and his shot blocked and out for a corner. The resulting corner came out of the Burnley defence to Wellens but he fired high and wide of goal. 

Minutes later and good football from Rovers out of the Burnley defence led to Coppinger feeding Cotterill on the right with the latter’s cross being put out for another corner. 

In the 19th minute the visitors won a corner that was headed back to the middle by Shackell at the far post before another header was saved well by Turnbull. 

Burnley had now grown into the game and Mee, following up an attack, hit a 35yard effort just over the bar. 

Just before the half hour and Coppinger fed Husband down the line on the left. The latter’s cross was caught by Heaton off the top of Macheda’s head. 

It was now end-to-end football and in the 40th minute, successive corners to Burnley came to nothing before a further corner was headed wide. 

In the 44th minute, Wellens threaded a ball through to Coppinger who took it on to the edge of the penalty area before hitting a low shot through a forest of legs for Heaton to make the save. 

Then, in the first minute of added time, came calamity for the Rovers when Jones was adjudged to have fouled Vokes in the penalty area. VOKES took the penalty kick himself and fired into the bottom right corner of the net, with Turnbull diving the wrong way.

Half Time – Doncaster Rovers 0 Burnley 1

Rovers got the second half underway and almost instantaneously won a corner however nothing came from it and it was cleared. 

In the 52nd minute, Wellens fed Coppinger on the left but his thirty-yard effort went wide of the near post. 

Minutes later and Arfield, for Burnley, also shot wide from a similar distance. 

Past the hour and Vokes cut in from the right touchline but fired well wide of the near post. 

In the 66th minute, good football from Rovers resulted in a corner. Paul Keegan placed the ball past the far post for Khumalo to pull back and pick out the awaiting Macheda, however couldn’t keep his shot down from 8yards. 

In the 72nd minute Quinn lost the ball halfway inside his own half to Kightly, who had a clear run on goal but he was chased down and after a scramble in the six yard box Jones managed to clear. 

Two minutes later and Brown was played into the six-yard box but couldn’t get the ball out of his feet and the chance was lost. 

Rovers now stepped their up their game and put pressure on the Burnley defence. Three successive corners were won, with the last one headed over the bar at the far post by Jones. 

Burnley weathered the pressure and in the 87th minute Arfield when down the inside left channel before hitting a cracking shot from the edge of the area that Turnbull could only beat out at the near post. 

The resulting corner was placed well over to the far touchline where TRIPPIER retrieved it and crossed low to the near post before it was deflected into the back of the net. 

Six minutes of added time said the referee and in the fourth of those minutes a corner to Burnley fell to Vokes whose shot was blocked by Turnbull with his legs, who then saved well from a fierce drive by Treacy from the edge of the penalty area.

A fantastic match showcasing attractive passing football from both sides ended in victory for our visitors.

Teams – ROVERS – Ross Turnbull; Paul Quinn, Bongani Khumalo, Rob Jones ©, James Husband; David Cotterill Richie Wellens, Paul Keegan, James Coppinger; Chris Brown, Federico Macheda

Subs used – Mark Duffy for Cotterill 60 mins; Theo Robinson for Keegan 75 mins;

Subs not used – Dean Furman, Luke McCullough, Kyle Bennett, Reece Wabara, Jon Maxted gk

 – Macheda 30 mins; Coppinger 35 mins; 

Burnley – Tom Heaton; Kieran Trippier, Michael Duff, Jason Shackell ©, Ben Mee; Scott Arfield, David Jones, David Edgar, Michael Kightly, Sam Vokes, Danny Ings

Subs used - Keith Treacy for Kightly 88 mins; Brian Stock for Ings 90+2 mins; 

Subs not used – Danny Lafferty, Junior Stanislas, Kevin Long, Ryan Noble, Alex Cisak gk

Caution – Shackell 82 mins;


Advertisement block