Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

The Last Time We Met: Huddersfield Town

11 September 2013

Sponsored by

Rovers last visited Huddersfield in 2007-08, on April 5th to be precise, when we were in 3rd position battling hard for an automatic promotion place.

During the week prior to the game Huddersfield had dismissed Manager Andy Ritchie and his assistant, John Dungworth and had put Gerry Murphy in charge as caretaker-manager. 

Rovers had lost at home on the Tuesday to Leeds United, with captain, Adam Lockwood, suffering an injury that led to Steve Roberts replacing him for this match. Brian Stock took over as captain.

The home team started the better and took an early lead when Williams rifled in from the edge of the penalty area in the 6th minute. 

The home team then piled the pressure on the Rovers, with Collins and Worthington having a go at goal. Sullivan saved the first ad the second was over the bar. 

Rovers were able to weather it and get their own game going. Just before the half hour Green crossed from the right for Price to get in a good header, which Glennon pushed away. 

Heffernan tried to get to the ball but Holdsworth beat him to it and put the ball out for a corner. Glennon missed the kick when it came in and Heffernan, with his back to goal tried an overhead kick, which caused problems in the home defence, before being cleared. 

Huddersfield then hit back, with a Brandon cross just too high for Booth in the middle. Worthington then hit a post, Collins collected the rebound but Sullivan saved his shot. 

After 40 minutes play, Manager O’Driscoll decided to change the Rovers strike force by bringing McCammon and Taylor on for Heffernan and Price.  Taylor was straight into the action and fired wide of goal

The Manager obviously had words in the dressing room because the Rovers started the second half with an urgency lacking so far in their game. 

McCammon scuffed a shot wide after a good build-up and Green hit a half volley wide. 

Then, in the 52nd minute, O’Connor fed Green on the Rovers right and Taylor slammed his cross into the net for an equalising goal. 

They began to dominate the game but in the 59th minute they were hit with a double blow. Mills brought down Brandon just outside the penalty area. Mills was sent off before Holdsworth stepped up to fire the free kick through the wall and into the net. 

The home team made their numerical superiority count for a while but the Rovers hung on. 

As the last ten minutes came up the Rovers went for broke and gained some reward in the 84th minute when Coppinger fed Green, who took the ball into the area on the right of goal before firing across the keeper into the far corner of the net. 

Huddersfield hit back in the closing minutes, with Brandon shooting over and then heading wide from a cross by Skarz.

A good point for the Rovers kept them in third place and still in the promotion hunt.

Teams - Huddersfield Town - Matt Glennon; Andy Holdsworth, David Mirfin, Robert Page ©, Nathan Clarke, Robbie Williams; Michael Collins, Jon Worthington, James Berrett, Chris Brandon; Andy Booth                                                                                                                   

Subs used - Joe Skarz for Williams 69mins;

Subs not used - Frank Sinclair, Luke Beckett, Malvin Kamara, Alex Smithies                                                                                      

Cautions- Worthington; Page; Holdsworth; Berrett; Skarz;

ROVERS - Neil Sullivan; James O'Connor, Matt Mills, Steve Roberts, Gareth Roberts; James Coppinger, Paul Green, Brian Stock captain, Richie Wellens; Jason Price, Paul Heffernan

Subs used - Gareth Taylor for Price 40 mins; Mark McCammon for Heffernan 40mins; Stuart Elliott for Wellens 78mins;

Subs not used - James Hayter, Sean McDaid

Sent Off - Mills 59 mins;

Advertisement block