Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 12/08/2014

12 August 2014

Sponsored by

Rovers overcome stern test to book place in next round thanks to reliable boot of supersub.

Harry Forrester scored an injury time winner to send Rovers through to the second round of the Capital One Cup.

On a substitute, the influential wingman –who was one of a number of players rested by Paul Dickov – came off the bench to see the visitors through against a resilient York City side.

James Coppinger captained Rovers who had 5 changes to the starting line up that beat Yeovil 3-0 on the opening day of the season.

City started the game quicker with Anthony Straker causing problems down the left hand side on a series of occasions during the first 15 minutes. 

In a scrappy first half, Rovers’ first chance fell in the 22nd minute as Main shot over the bar from outside the box.  Shortly after Bennett created the second chance of the game for Rovers, as neat play between De Val and Main created space for the midfielder, however his chance fell straight to Mooney in the York City goal.

Rovers rarely threatened again in the first 45, with the final remaining chance of the first half falling to Platt for York, who hit a blistering shot wide of Jed Steer’s goal just a few minutes before half time. A scrappy first half came to an end with neither side really threatening.

In a more open second half both teams created better chances.  Rovers started the brighter of the two teams with half chances for both Bennett and Robinson.

As the game reached the hour mark, York became the stronger of the two teams creating a series of chances over the next 15 minutes of the game.  Steer in the Rovers goal prevented Coulson and then Straker from breaking the deadlock with some great point blank saves.

As the game looked like going into extra time, the fourth official indicated three minutes of added time.  As he did, Curtis Main picked up the ball on the left hand side of the York box and held up the ball before laying it off to Forrester. 

Deadly from the edge of the box, a low arrowing shot cannoned in off the upright of Mooney’s goal and in to the back of thenet to send the travelling army of Rovers fans in to delirium, and with it, the chance of a money spinning tie in the next round.

Rovers: Steer, Evina, Furman, McCombe (Jones 78), Robinson, Main (Keegan 92), McCullough, Wakefield, De Val, Bennett (Forrester 65), Coppinger (C).  Unused subs: Marosi, Tyson, Peterson, Askins.
Cautions: McCombe 35, De Val 60
Goals: Forrrester 90

York City: Mooney, McCoy, Illesanmi, McCombe, Coulson, Penn (C), Jarvis (Hirst 75), Straker, Winfield, Platt, Meikle.  Unused subs: Parslow, Summerfield, Montrose, Lowe, Murray, Ingham     
Attendance 3,357, 1073 from Doncaster Rovers

Advertisement block