Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 23/08/2014

23 August 2014

Sponsored by


Colchester United 0-1 Rovers.


In form Kyle Bennett seals three points for Rovers.


Colchester United- 0

Doncaster Rovers- 1 (Bennett, 65)

Weston Homes Community Stadium

  August 2014rdSaturday 23

Sky Bet Football League


Rovers made it three wins out of three on the road this season, after a 1-0 victory, at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

There was one change; Jamie McCombe came in for captain Rob Jones, as Rovers looked to build on the 1-1 draw with Preston Tuesday night.

It was a confident start from Dickov’s men, who saw much of the ball in the opening 15 minutes, but chances were difficult to create. Colchester looked a threat on the break, but like Rovers, didn’t test the keeper.

Both sides looked composed on the ball and played some good stuff, but defensively looked solid, during much of the opening 45 minutes.

The only clear chance of the first half came after 31 minutes, when Theo Robinson was found by a James Coppinger cross, but he couldn’t test Sam Walker in the Colchester goal and headed over the bar.

Dominic Vose had a couple of efforts from outside the penalty area, but that was as close as the U’s had got to testing Steer.

Rovers started the second half playing a little deeper and allowing the U’s to have much of the ball but hitting them on the break.

Early on Rovers struggled to adapt to a change in system and style, which gave the home side a bit of encouragement. However, the Rovers back four saw out the early Colchester pressure.

Eventually Rovers improved and started hitting the U’s on the break, Bennett beat two men and almost slipped Robinson in behind the defence, however Walker came off of his line and collected the ball.

Then on 65 minutes Rovers broke once more, this time Coppinger delivered a cross into a great area which caused a goalmouth scramble before the U’s cleared momentarily. Robinson kept the ball in play and ran at the back four before giving the ball to Bennett, who shifted it onto his left foot and smashed low into the back of the net, from 15 yards.

Joe Dunne responded to going behind by making three substitutions on 71 minutes. However the change didn’t really make a difference, as Colchester didn’t create a single opening all afternoon.

Rovers should have been out of sight and made it a much easier for themselves, when first Dean Furman looked to have a tap in from 2 yards, which was somehow cleared by a Colchester defender. Then Furman cut back to De-Val who couldn’t get his effort away.

The best chance for Rovers to double their lead fell to Robinson, who was 10 yards out but didn’t get the ball out of his feet in time and saw his shot blocked on 85 minutes.

Paul Dickov then made his only change, bringing Nathan Tyson on for Robinson.

Bennett put in a man of the match performance and continued his great start to the season by giving Rovers their third win on the road.

Team details - Steer, Wabara, Evina, McCullough, McCombe, De-Val, Keegan, Furman, Coppinger ©, Bennett, Robinson (Tyson, 87).Rovers:

Cautions –
Subs not used – Marosi, Wakefield, Peterson, Middleton, Askins, Whitehouse.

Colchester:Walker, Gordon, Okuonghae ©, Gilbey, Ibehre, Sears, Bean (Holman, 71), Eastman, Clohessy, Moncur (Eastmond, 71), Vose (Masse, 71).

Subs not used – Lewington, Kent, Szmodics, Curtis.

Cautions – Marcus Bean (50,mins) Alex Gilbey (90, mins).


Attendance– 3162


- 419.



Advertisement block