Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 30/08/2014

30 August 2014

Sponsored by

It was anything but home comforts for Rovers once again as they lost 2-0 to Oldham Athletic, at the Keemoat Stadium.


Rovers made one change to the side that won at Watford in midweek, Rob Jones, replaced Liam Wakefield.

The first-half got off to a terrible start for Paul Dickov’s side, when after only three minutes, when striker Jonson Clarke-Harris reacted first to a loose ball, to score from five yards.

The goal seemed to knock Rovers confidence and they never looked like finding the same levels as they had managed at Vicarage Road.

Oldham could have added a second, but Jed Steer did well to tip a deflected effort over his bar, after he had to change his direction.

Chances did come Rovers after a disastrous opening 15 minutes, but none were taken. First Dean Furman was inches away from heading home a Coppinger cross, before the South African had another effort, this time he just missed the post with a half volley.

Rovers biggest chance of the half fell to Reece Wabara, who was put through on goal, but couldn’t find the back of the net. 

There was a penalty appeal five minutes before the break, when Nathan Tyson was brought down having beat two Oldham men to the ball, but the referee waved away the appeals.

The second half started as the first ended, with the Latics in control. Richie Wellens, Harry Forrester and Theo Robinson replaced Mark De-Val, Dean Furman and Kyle Bennett on 65 minutes. 

However, any plans of a comeback were wiped away, moments after the triple change, when Luke McCullough brought down Danny Philliskirk in the penalty area and the referee awarded a penalty, which was put away by Jonathan Forte to double his side’s lead.

Rovers had very little to shout about after the second goal, Forrester who looked bright had an effort from 20 yards go just over Rachubka’s crossbar, but that was the closest they got. 

Another penalty appeal was waved away, when Tyson had his back to goal and fell to the floor, but nothing was given.

The referee added seven minutes on, but the Latics got through it with comfort to keep and clean sheet and take all three points. Rovers still find themselves  without a home win this season.

Rovers: Steer, Wabara, McCullough, Jones ©, Evina, Keegan, De-Val (Wellens, 56) Furman (Robinson, 56), Coppinger, Bennett (Forrester, 56), Tyson.

Subs not used –Marosi, Wakefield, McCombe, Robinson, Peterson.
Cautions –  Keegan, 61

Oldham Athletic: Rachubka, J.Wilson, Mills, Elokobi,, B.Wilson, Jones, Kelly ©, Winchester, Philliskirk, Forte, Clarke-Harris.

Subs not used – Coleman, Brown, Dieng, Noble, Dayton, Kusunga, Morgan-Smith.

Cautions – Philliskirk, 70, Forte, 11

Attendance – 6313 (681)

Advertisement block