Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match report: Yeovil 0-3 Rovers

9 August 2014

Sponsored by

Rovers started their Sky Bet League One Campaign with a comfortable 3-0 win against Yeovil Town at Huish Park.

A fast and ferocious start from Rovers was rewarded, when debutant Curtis Main put Rovers a goal up. Harry Forrester put him in behind the Glovers defence and Main showed no signs of nerves as he slotted the ball over the keeper to give his side the lead.

Rovers getting beyond the Glover’s defence was the story of the first half, Nathan Tyson had a great chance after half an hour to put the visitors 2-0 up but could not get enough power on his effort to reach the Yeovil net.

There were two talking points in the opening 45 minutes; one was a penalty appeal, when Forrester appeared to be tripped. The second right on half time, saw Tyson brought down thirty yards out from the goal, but the referee deemed the striker, not to be in a goal scoring position and showed Aaron Martin a yellow card.

The home side did have moments of their own in the half; Martin had a free-header from a Foley corner, but it was headed over the bar.  There was nearly a freak moment, after a Rovers clearance hit Gillett and it forced Jed Steer to tip over his bar.

The second half started at a much slower tempo, as Rovers sat deep, ready to counter. Yeovil saw most of the ball for the first fifteen minutes. Then on 64 minutes, Forrester got on the end of another Rovers clearance and beat the on rushing Weale to the ball, before lobbing it over him and a Yeovil defender to make it 2-0 to Rovers. 

Rovers looked comfortable throughout the rest of the match and never looked like conceding. Both Nathan Tyson and Curtis Main impressed on their debuts and were replaced Theo Robinson and Mark De-Val Fernandez as Rovers closed the match out. Kyle Bennett was brought on to replace a tired looking Harry Forrester on 88 minutes.

The referee added 7 minutes of stoppage time, but that just gave the away side chance to add another goal, after Weale was lobbed once again, this time by Theo Robinson, in the final minute of the match.

Rob Jones returned to Football League action and captained the side for the first time in 2014 and played all 90 minutes, in what was the perfect start to the new season for Rovers.

Advertisement block