Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers Youth Sink Pools

19 August 2014

Sponsored by

Made in Doncaster: Youngsters continue unbeaten start.

Report: Doncaster Rovers Under 18’s 2-0 Hartlepool Under 18’s.

A strong second half performance from Rovers under 18’s, with goals from Liam Mandeville and Matty Davis, saw the hosts come out comfortable winners in their first home game of the season.

First team manager Paul Dickov was at Cantley Park to watch the future of Doncaster Rovers get their first win of the season.

Talented centre back Paul McKay, who has just signed a professional contract with Doncaster Rovers, captained the team in a game that was dominated by the home side.

Hartlepool got the match underway but struggled to keep possession in the early minutes as Rovers started strongly and set the tempo for the game with Jack McKay going closest in the opening exchanges.

Against the run of play, United’s best chance fell on 15 minutes as a shot from 25 yards hit the post. Rovers quickly regrouped but the away side started to look more of a threat.

Hartlepool’s Blackford almost put the visitors ahead as a free kick that was heading for the top corner forced a brilliant save from Jack McClaren.

Hartlepool rarely threatened again as Rovers regained control of the match. Matty Davis showed excellent pace and went through, but was again stopped by the Hartlepool defence.

Half an hour in, Rovers won a free kick as Alex Head was fouled on the edge of the area and Michael Carberry’s effort rattled the crossbar to show a glimpse of what lie ahead.

Half time: Doncaster Rovers u-18’s 0-0 Hartlepool United u-18’s.

It wasn’t long in to the second half before Rovers gained the upper hand through Mandeville on 55 minutes. Jordan Linley’s powerful run and cross evaded the visiting ‘keeper and Mandeville tapped home at the far post for 1-0.

Rovers, through Davis, doubled the Rovers advantage ten minutes later when he scored a fantastic goal after cutting in from the right wing and shooting with the outside of his boot to put Paul Stancliffe’s side in a commanding position.

The second goal was a turning point in the game as Rovers stepped it up a gear and dominated the remaining 25 minutes of the match. Chances came thick and fast and defender Paul McKay went closest when his shot was cleared off the line.

Rovers’ youngsters were clinical throughout, playing some great one touch football and ‘keeper Jack McLaren was only forced in to action late on to ensure Stancliffe’s side kept a clean sheet.

On that the referee blew for full time. Rovers won the match 2-0 and deserved all three points.

Doncaster Rovers: Jack McLaren, Scott Brown, Paul McKay, Trialist, Michael Carberry, Aaron Gordon (Michael Collins 75), Jordan Linley, Alex Head, Matty Davis (Matthew Parkin 80), Liam Mandeville(Ryan Wanless 65), Jack McKay
Subs: Ryan Wanless, Matty Parkin, Michael Collins, Trialist

Goals: Liam Mandeville- 55 mins, Matty Davis- 65 mins

Hartlepool United: Barber, Briggs, Varga, Mitchinson, Carr, Jewson (Elliott 75), Green, Skidmore, Blackford, C Wood, Armstrong

Advertisement block