Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Doncaster Rovers 2-0 Coventry City

26 December 2014

Sponsored by

It’s a very Merry Christmas for Paul Dickov as Rovers record a convincing win over Coventry City.

Doncaster Rovers 2 (Butler-2, Forrester-22)
Coventry 0
Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster
Friday 26th December, 2014
Sky Bet League One

Harry Forrester was the man of the moment as a brilliant individual performance from him saw Rovers get back to back wins and secure only their second home win of the season.

Paul Dickov made one change to the side that won against Swindon last weekend, Harry Forrester came in for the injured Kyle Bennett.

The home side played with a quick tempo applying pressure right from the off and they got off to a dream start when Doncaster boy Andy Butler put them ahead just two minutes in.

Harry Forrester played a deep ball in to the back post and it was Butler who rose above everyone to head the ball home and put Rovers in front.

On 15 minutes Coventry were appealing for a penalty as James Maddison went down in the area, but the referee gave a free kick Rovers way and booked the midfielder for diving.

Rovers lead was doubled through Forrester on 22 minutes as he skipped through the Coventry defence before very nicely finishing into the bottom corner, leaving Ryan Allsop with no chance.

Just before half time the home side were appealing for a penalty as another ball in from Forrester was aimed towards Butler. The defender appeared to be having his shirt pulled but the referee ignored the protests and play went on.

Rovers continued to play counter attacking football and looked dangerous on the break. Theo Robinson played Richie Wellens through one on one but the midfielder couldn’t get his shot away quick enough.

Half time score: Rovers 2-0 Coventry

Rovers started the second half as they started the first, instantly putting pressure on the visitors.

Forrester was in the thick of the action again and a dangerous ball across the box was almost put on a plate for Robinson, but for it being just out of the strikers reach.

The midfielder continued to cause problems down the left flank and almost got his second of the afternoon on the hour mark. Stylishly breaking away from Jim O’Brien he chipped the ball over Allsop who was beaten, only to see the ball come back off the post. 

Chances were few and far between for the rest of the afternoon but Rovers were playing with confidence and never looked threatened at the back.

With 15 minutes to play Forrester was deliberately brought down by Adam Barton who received his second yellow card from Mr. Kavanagh and left the field early.

Things went from bad to worse for the visitors as James Maddison followed Barton with a swift exit as he was also shown a red card for bringing down Wellens.

Substitute Curtis Main almost made it three as he missed the post by an inch after getting on the end of a Forrester ball.

It was eleven versus nine for the remaining quarter of an hour and Rovers contained possession well to see the game out.

The referee blew for full time and goals from Butler and Forrester were enough to give Paul Dickov and the fans a belated Christmas present!

Team details -
Rovers: Johnstone, Wabara, McCullough, Butler, Stevens, Forrester (Whitehouse- 87), Coppinger, Furman, Keegan, Wellens (De Val- 78), Robinson (Main- 80)

Subs not used: Marosi, McCombe, Wakefield, J.McKay

Cautions- Forrester

Coventry: Allsop, Pennington, Webster, Martin, Haynes, Barton, Finch (Jackson- 64), Fleck, O’Brien (Nouble- 73), Maddison, Madine

Subs not used – Burge, Willis, Thomas, Swanson,, Tudgay

Cautions – Webster, Pennington, Barton (RED), Maddison (RED)

Attendance – 6,916

Away- 898

Advertisement block