Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Rovers Dev 2-2 Huddersfield Dev

23 December 2014

Sponsored by

Rob Jones’ Doncaster Rovers Development side surrendered a two-goal lead as a late deflected effort from Huddersfield’s Danny Carr earned the Terriers a point at Cantley Park.

Doncaster Rovers 2 (Middleton 31, 43)

Huddersfield Town 2 (J Boyle 62, Carr 90+3)

Final Third Development League
Cantley Park Training Complex, Doncaster

After a fairly even opening Jack McKay carved out an opportunity out of nothing, from a narrow angle he managed to take the ball past goalkeeper Ed Wilczynski but the rushing Huddersfield defence managed to clear the ball for a corner.

Midway through the first half Rovers goalkeeper Marko Marosi was forced into action, Joe Wilkinson’s corner was met at the near post by Will Boyle with a free header, with the Slovakian making a great save to tip the ball over the crossbar.

Rovers again went close to breaking the deadlock from a set piece, Lewis Ferguson’s great free-kick found Mitchell Lund who was only denied by the upright.

Rovers did finally make the breakthrough in the 31st minute, Harry Middleton went through on goal but he was denied by a great save from Wilczynski, however from the rebound Joe Wright tried to clear and the ball deflected off Middleton, looping over the goalkeeper and into the net to give Doncaster the lead.

However within two minutes later Huddersfield were awarded a penalty after Ben Atkinson was brought down in the box by Scott Brown. Midfielder Duane Holmes stepped up to take the spot kick but Marosi was the hero for Doncaster saving low to his right and following that up with an excellent save to deny Will Boyle with the rebound.

Before the break Rovers had the chance to extend their lead, Liam Mandeville held the ball up well before picking out Lewis Ferguson at the back post but he scuffed his finish wide.

Rovers though were not to be denied a second before half time, Middleton netting his second goal of the game with a great strike from the edge of the box which found the bottom left corner.

Half Time: Doncaster Rovers 2-0 Huddersfield Town

After the break Huddersfield pressed to get back in the game and substitute Jack Boyle pulled a goal back for the visitors in the 62nd minute.  He timed his run to perfection to beat the offside trap before slotting the ball into the bottom left corner.

Jacob Hanson then almost levelled for Town, his deflected effort from the edge of the box had Marosi beaten but missed the target by just inches.

As Huddersfield attacked for an equaliser, Rovers broke three minutes from time through Jack McKay, he held the ball up well before laying the ball off to Billy Whitehouse to cross, he found Mandeville at the back post but his header into the ground couldn’t beat Wilczynski.

Another Town substitute Regan Booty was next to test the impressive Marosi, his 25-yard free kick was superbly saved by the Slovakian goalkeeper.

Despite the best efforts of Rovers to hang on Huddersfield were not to be denied, in the third minute of added time substitute Danny Carr’s deflected effort wrong-footed Marosi and found the bottom right corner.

Full Time: Doncaster Rovers 2-2 Huddersfield Town

Rovers: Marosi, Lund, Carberry, Head (Linley 66), P McKay, Brown, Whitehouse, Middleton, J McKay (McCormick 88), Mandeville, Ferguson (Gordon 45). Subs not used: Iveson, Mbuti.

Town: Wilczynski, Hanson, W Boyle, Holmes, Wilkinson, Wright, Tronstad (Booty 69), Billing, Atkinson (J Boyle 57), Pyke (Carr 71), Bojaj. Subs not used: Allinson, Holmes.

Cautions: Wright 62, Holmes 65.

Advertisement block