Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U18 Report: Doncaster Rovers 2-0 York City

1 December 2014

Sponsored by

Doncaster Rovers Under 18’s continue their good run of form in recording a convincing 2-0 victory over York City at Cantley Park.

Doncaster Rovers 2 (Davies- 22, P.McKay- 89)
York 0 

Cantley Park, Doncaster 
Saturday 29th November 
North East Youth Alliance League

A number of players were rested for Paul Stancliffe’s side after playing 90 minutes for Rob Jones’ Under 21 side during the week, but this didn’t affect the tempo that Rovers played with as they looked to dominate from the off. 

Despite Rovers domination for the majority of the game, it was York who started brightly enjoying early possession. 

Five minutes in Matthew Parker was released one on one for the visitors, but brave goalkeeping from Jonny Iveson saw him quick off his line to deny Parker the opening goal. 

The first chance for the home side fell to Ryan Wanless as he got on the end of an inch perfect cross from Michael Carberry but his header sailed just wide of the mark and it remained 0-0. 

 Rovers felt they should have had a penalty as Matty Davies weaved his way through three defenders before being bought down in the box, but the referee Mr D. Evans waved away the protests and play went on. 

Minutes later Davies was causing problems with his pace again, as he broke down the right before shooting narrowly past the post. Despite piling on the pressure, the home side were unable to break the deadlock. 

York responded to the pressure and Iveson was called into action when a volley from the edge of the area required a fingertip save from the Rovers keeper. 

On 22 minutes Rovers got the breakthrough; Davies cross in from the right had Danny Wright at full stretch and somehow found the top corner of the net to put the home side ahead. 

With Rovers on top in the game their lead was almost doubled, as Wanless delivered a great ball in to the back post which was met by Aron Gordon, but he saw his header brilliantly blocked on the line by the York defence. 

On the stroke of half time Rovers went close again as Carberry delivered another good ball into the box which was met by Davies who struck a volley inches wide of the post. 

Half Time score: Rovers 1-0 York

Rovers started the second half as they finished the first. A good delivery into the box by Ben Greasley was met by Wanless again but his first time shot went just wide of the post and didn’t trouble Wright. 

New first team recruit Liam Mandeville caused problems for the York defence after a number of impressive runs. The strikers best chance came after some fancy footwork beat Wright but his chipped shot was headed off the line. 

In the 58th minute the striker scuffed a shot which fell nicely for Gordon whose shot hit the post from close range. 

Wright was called into action again after a great run from Gordon set up Matty Parkin, whose low shot needed a smart save to his right. 

With fifteen minutes to go Jack McKay was introduced to the action to try and seal the victory and on 80 minutes his ball across the box to Mandeville triggered  another good save from Wright. The rebound fell to Alex Head who tapped in from three yards but the linesman deemed the midfielder offside and the goal was disallowed. 

The home side’s continuous pressure finally paid off and on 89 minutes defender Paul McKay put the game beyond doubt as he volleyed home a Davies corner from six yards. 

Full Time score: Rovers 2-0 York

Team details - 
Rovers: Iveson, Carberry, Greasley (P.McKay- 75), Brown, Williamson, Linley, Davies, Gordon, Parkin (Head- 74), Mandeville, Wanless (J.McKay- 65)
Subs not used – McLaren, 
York: Wright, Morley, Jefferson, G.Wilson ©, De Groot, Godfrey, Freer (Hirst- 60), Hardey, Caulfield, Parker and C.Wilson.
Subs not used: Hirst, Price, Salmon, Collis and Leen.

Advertisement block