Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers Youth 3 Hull City Youth 2

24 March 2014

Sponsored by

Under 18s continue their great winning run

Saturday, 22nd March 2014 at Cantley Park, Doncaster

Football League Youth Alliance North-East Conference

Doncaster Rovers Yth 3 Hull City Yth 2

Referee – Mr P Saunders


The Under 18s continued their winning ways with a hard fought win over ten-man Hull City, Champions of the League for the last two seasons but struggling in fourth place this season. This win consolidated Rovers in second place. Their next game pits them against runaway leaders Bradford City on Tuesday.


It was sunny but cold, with a stiff wind blowing more or less down the pitch from the Town end. Hull had first use of it at their backs but the Rovers started well and took the lead in the 19th minute when left back Dawson lifted a high ball into the Hull penalty area. BURNYEAT brought it down and fired into the bottom corner from 12yards. Five minutes later Fallowfield, of Hull, was sent off for a foul on Paul McKay. Rovers took advantage of their numerical advantage over the next ten minutes, with Walker, in the Hull goal, punching a high ball from Dawson off the head of Burnyeat on the half hour. In the 34th minute, hit a good low strike from just outside the penalty area that zipped into the bottom corner just inside the post giving the keeper no chance. However, the visitors hit back a couple of minutes later when, following a corner, ANNAN deflected a shot from Penny past McLaren in the Rovers goal. This goal boosted Hull and they continued to push forward. As half time loomed up McLaren was in action, diving right to push away a good header by O’Connor.


Half Time – Doncaster Rovers Yth 2 Hull City Yth 1


The visitors put the Rovers under pressure in the second half despite their numerical inferiority. In the 55th minute a quick break following the breakdown of a Rovers attack put Pool in on goal but McLaren was out quickly to spread himself and block the shot. A couple of minutes later Leon Dawson, for Hull, had a cracking effort from the left but McLaren made the save. Rovers were well in the game but they were making no headway up front. Then, in the 67th minute, O’CONNOR broke through into the Rovers penalty area where he was brought down by McLaren. The centre forward took the penalty kick himself and equalised the score at two goals apiece. This setback brought an urgency from the Rovers, who set about recovering their momentum. Steadman had a terrific effort tipped over the bar by Walker but in the 77th minute Rovers made the breakthrough with an extraordinary goal. Paul McKAY took a free kick from the left touchline just inside his own half, lifting it high into the Hull penalty area where it bounced over the keeper into the net, with nobody else appearing to get a touch. It was a killer goal and the Rovers made sure they kept their nose in front to the end of the game.


Result – Doncaster Rovers Yth 3 (Burnyeat 19 Terrell 34 McKay 77) Hull City 2 (Annan 36 O’Connor pen 67)


Teams – Rovers – Jack McLaren; Mitchell Lund ©, Jacob Dawson, Jack Steadman, Ben Askins, Paul McKay, Liam Mandeville, Spencer Lund, Ryan Burnyeat, Callum Terrell, Billy Whitehouse

Subs used – Alex Head for Burnyeat 78 mins; Kevin M’Buti for Paul McKay 86 mins;

Subs not used – Owen Gamble, Jack McKay, Aron Gordon


Hull City Yth – Joe Walker; Josh Clackstone, Leon Dawson, Ryan Fallowfield, Harvey Rodgers,Alex Penny, Will Annan, Jack Pugh, Sam O’Connor, Niall Doran, Jake Buckle

Subs used – Devonte Morton for Buckle 70 mins; Johnny Mahon for Jack Pugh 75 mins;                             Subs not used – Joe Pugh, Mitchell Langton, Rory Watson gk

Advertisement block