Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Scunthorpe Res 0 Rovers Res 4

18 March 2014

Sponsored by

A Theo Robinson brace helps Rovers record a win in the last game of Final Third Development League season.

Tuesday, 18th March 2014, at Glanford Park, Scunthorpe

Scunthorpe United Res 0 Doncaster Rovers Res 4

Rovers made a bright start to the game just as the sun went in and dark rain clouds began to drift across the ground.

In the second minute a good move down the Rovers left gave Furman chance of a go from the edge of the penalty area to the left of goal but he put wide of the far post.

Then Rovers won a corner but nothing came from it. The game then settled into an even game mainly played out in midfield. 

Sutton, for the home team, had a twenty-five yard effort saved by Turnbull after 20 minutes and a few minutes later a free kick to the Rovers brought another corner.

In the 27th minute, a terrific ball from De Val pierced the Scunthorpe defence for ROBINSON to take on and slot past Severn.

Past the half hour and a good high cross by Finnegan from the left touchline was met by the head of Whincop but he put wide.

In the 35th minute, Rovers had a free kick near the corner flag on their left that Middleton put to the far post for McCullough to head back to the middle where Robinson swung a leg at it but Severn, diving to his left, pushed the ball round the post.

Four minutes later Esajas, for Scunthorpe, got to the left byline and put over a good cross that McCullough, on the goal-line, headed clear as the opposition closed in. 

Half Time – Scunthorpe United Res 0 Doncaster Rovers Res 1

Rovers got off to a great start in the second half when Finnegan played a ball down the line for FERGUSON, who cut in and from the edge of the penalty area lobbed the ball over Severn in the 47th minute.

Three minutes later and it was three up for the Rovers when WHINCOP, on his own in the middle beat the keeper to the ball and slotted past him.

In the 55th minute Rovers made it four when a great run by Ferguson down the left took him into the penalty area. He was brought down, the ball ran loose and ROBINSON rifled into the net.

Two minutes later and a terrific flighted ball from Middleton over the home defence to Whincop on the right was crossed for Ferguson to meet on the volley as he ran in from the left but he put it over the bar.

In the 68th minute Wootton, for the home team, got in a strike on the Rovers goal but Turnbull saved comfortably.

It had been all Rovers up to the half hour when Whincop shot wide from a good position but then some sloppy defensive play gave Esajas a shot from just inside the area that thudded against the post and away. 

Scunthorpe were back in the game as time began to run out and in the 81st minute a poor back pass by Wakefield and a missed tackle from Meade let in Burdett, whose fierce drive from 16 yards on the left was pushed out at the near post by Turnbull. 

The Rovers rallied and took command of the game to the end, with Middleton shooting over from distance and Whincop putting well wide.

A comfortable win for Rovers after an extremely dominant second half display.

Teams – Scunthorpe United – James Severn; Jacob Hood, George Grayson, Luke Hornsey, Luke Waterfall ©, Taron Hare, Etienne Esajas, Levi Sutton, Kyle Wootton, Noel Burdett, Connor Smythe

Subs used – Reece Mosanya for Esajas 87 mins;

Subs not used – Pat Weaver, Emilio Oliver-Stothard, Connor Purdue

Caution – Hornsey 30 mins;

ROVERS – Ross Turnbull; Josh Meade, Luke McCullough, Liam Wakefield ©, Evan Finnegan; Lewis Ferguson, Marc De Val, Harry Middleton, Dean Furman; Chris Whincop, Theo Robinson

Subs used – Ryan Burnyeat for Robinson 58 mins; Jordan Binns for Furman 64 mins;

Subs not used – Mitchell Lund, Jon Maxted gk

Advertisement block