Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

The Last Time

19 March 2014

Billy Sharp scores Rovers winner in the last league outing against the Owls at Keepmoat Stadium

Tuesday, 8th December 2009 at the Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster                                                                                    

Football League Championship

Doncaster Rovers 1 Sheffield Wednesday 0

Referee – Mr Alan Wiley

Attendance – 12,825 (3,002 visitors)

The last time these two teams met at the Keepmoat Stadium was just over four years ago. Rovers were in 16th place in the Championship and Wednesday were 22nd and struggling. However, they belied their position in the table by going on the attack and keeping the Rovers defence occupied throughout the first half. But, despite having the best of the play they hadn’t found the net by the half time whistle and neither had the Rovers. Potter had come closest when after several shots had been blocked he got a sight of goal but Sullivan made the save and as half time came up Clarke put wide from a tight angle. For the Rovers Shiels had curled a shot wide of goal and Woods had hit a free kick straight at Grant, who saved comfortably.

Wednesday started the second half as they had the first, on the attack. Potter put wide from 20yards and Tudgay put his effort high over the bar from 25 yards. The Owls were actually playing the better football against a team who had gained a reputation for playing fine football but couldn’t get enough of the ball to get into their stride. O’Connor and Chambers of the Rovers, were both booked for unceremonious fouls on Clarke. Halfway through the second half the Rovers at last got to grips with the game and O’Connor headed over the bar following a corner but otherwise the Wednesday defence held them at bay. Then, in the 78th minute, Chambers fed Gillett down the right touchline and his cross was met by Sharp with a bullet header that zipped past Grant and put the Rovers in the lead. Chances had few and far between at both ends but Rovers had got their nose in front and were determined to keep it there. The Wednesday tried hard to hit back in the remaining time at their disposal but the Rovers defence withstood the challenge and at the final whistle had gained the three points on offer and put the Wednesday deeper into trouble. It hadn’t been a great game and it could be called an ugly win for the Rovers but it was the winning of the points that mattered.

Teams – ROVERS – Neil Sullivan; James Chambers, James O’Connor, Jason Shackell, Gareth Roberts; James Coppinger, John Oster ( Sam Hird 87 mins), Dean Shiels (Mark Wilson 75 mins), Martin Woods (Simon Gillett 46 mins); James Hayter, Billy Sharp 

Sheffield Wednesday – Lee Grant; Lewis Buxton, Darren Purse, Mark Beevers, Tommy Spurr; Marcus Tudgay, Darren Potter, James O’Connor (Tom Soares 85 mins), Sean McAllister, Jermaine Johnson (Etienne Esajas 84 mins), Leon Clarke (Luke Varney 72 mins)

Be Part of the Sharp Magic this Saturday by getting your ticket for the big game against the Owls Click Here

Advertisement block