Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Weston-super-Mare 1-4 Doncaster Rovers

19 November 2014

Sponsored by

Rovers make no mistake in advancing to the second round of the FA Cup.

Weston-super-Mare- 1 (Monelle, 90+2)
Doncaster Rovers-  4 (Main, 16, 35. Coppinger, 45. Wellens 64)

Woodspring Stadium, Weston-super-Mare
Tuesday 18th November
FA Cup 1st Round

A dominant performance from Paul Dickov’s side sees Rovers advance to the second round of the FA Cup in style.

The away side started brightly and had the ball in the back of the net after just two minutes, as Paul Keegan pounced on a rebound from a Rovers corner. He wheeled away in celebration but the referee disallowed the goal and gave a free kick to the home side.

Five minutes later Rovers had the ball in the net again. This time Curtis Main was on the end of a James Coppinger squared ball, Purnell was beaten but the linesman flagged for offside to disallow the goal.

On sixteen minutes Rovers broke the deadlock and went ahead as Kyle Bennett cut inside and tried a low shot, it looked to be heading for the bottom corner but Main got a touch to ensure it crossed the line.

The hosts were appealing for a penalty when Ryan Bath was brought down by Enda Stevens, but the referee showed no interest in the appeal and waved play on.

Theo Robinson almost doubled Rovers lead as he had a free header in the area but a great reflex save from Purnell denied the striker.

James Coppinger went close minutes later when his first time shot from Wabara’s ball went inches past the right post, but ten minutes before the break Main got his and Rovers second as he pounced on a rebound from another Purnell save. His close range tap in put Rovers two goals ahead.

On the stroke of half time captain James Coppinger made it three. Wellens chipped the ball in to the midfielder who chested it down nicely before hitting a sublime volley into the top corner.

Half time score: Weston-super-Mare 0-3 Doncaster Rovers

Weston-super-Mare looked a different team in the second half and looking to put pressure on the away side, came out fighting.

Ryan Bath was presented with a great chance when the ball fell to him ten yards out but his half volley went way over Johnstone’s crossbar and wasn’t troubling the Rovers keeper.

On 63 minutes Rovers added a fourth; Bennett made a great run from midfield and played a through ball for Wellens, the midfielder got their before Purnell to poke the ball over the line at the near post.

The away side had another chance as substitute Harry Forrester drove through the midfield and tried a shot from range but a smart save from the Weston keeper denied him.

The home side weren’t without their chances, a string of corners put pressure on the Rovers defence but the Seagulls failed to capitalise.

Harris came close with a strike from the edge of the area that was driven narrowly over Johnstone’s cross bar but it wasn’t until the 92nd minute that the home side got the goal that they deserved. Johnstone was finally beaten when Rovers couldn’t clear the ball after a goal line scramble and Liam Monelle turned the ball home from close range.
Shortly after the restart the referee blew for full time and victory for Rovers means they will face Oldham Athletic on Saturday 6th December in the second round of the FA Cup.

Team details -
Weston-super-Mare: Luke Purnell, Aaron Brown, Ollie Barnes, Tom Jordan ©, Clayton Fortune, Joe McClennan (Sam Teale, 80), Jake Mawford, Jacob Cane, Bradley Ash (Liam Monelle, 71), Dayle Grubb, Ryan Bath (Jake Harris, 71).

Subs not used – Jake Llewellyn, Alec Fiddes, Syd Camper, Dan Jackson

Cautions- Tom Jordan, Jake Mawford

Rovers: Sam Johnstone, Reece Wabara, Andy Butler, Luke McCullough, Enda Stevens, Richie Wellens, Paul Keegan (Marc De Val, 70), James Coppinger (Harry Forrester, 70) ©, Kyle Bennett (Billy Whitehouse, 77), Theo Robinson, Curtis Main

Subs not used: Marko Marosi, Nathan Tyson, Liam Wakefield, Harry Middleton.

Cautions- Enda Stevens, Kyle Bennett, Reece Wabara

Attendance- 2,949

Advertisement block