Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U18 Report: Mansfield Town 4-1 Doncaster Rovers

2 November 2014

Sponsored by

Four second half goals for Mansfield ensures victory against Paul Stancliffe’s side.

Mansfield Town 4 (Fletcher- 55, Harrison- 75, Fletcher- 85, Fitzpatrick- 88)
Doncaster Rovers 1  (Linley- 12)

Clipstone, Mansfield
Friday 31st October, 2014
North East Youth Alliance League

Four second half goals for Mansfield saw them come from behind to defeat Paul Stancliffe's side in what was a disappointing afternoon for Rovers U18's.

Five minutes into the game there were chances for the home side as multiple shots were blocked by the Rovers defence. After a goal line scramble the ball was eventually cleared.

However, it was Rovers who took the lead through Jordan Linley on 12 minutes. Matty Davies received the ball just outside the area from Connor Williamson and his stylish back heel set up Linley, whose first time wonder strike gave the visitors a 1-0 lead.

Mansfield enjoyed spells of possession but for the majority of the first half the Rovers back line held firm.

Ryan Wanless looked to continue his good run of form as he caused a few problems for the Mansfield defence.

His close range effort was deflected narrowly past the post, before the resulting corner fell to Michael Carberry who tried his luck from 40 yards but his dipping shot came back off the crossbar.

Mansfield failed to threaten in the first half and Rovers youngsters went in at half time a goal to the good.

Half time: Mansfield 0-1 Rovers

Mansfield came out a different team in the second half and Dan Fletcher levelled things up as he beat goalkeeper Jack McLaren in an arial challenge for a tap in following a long ball from Sam Wilson.

The home side continued to apply pressure and took the lead with a quarter of an hour to play through Kieran Harrison who struck a low shot past McLaren, following a neat lay off from Tyler Blake.

Minutes later Anthony Dwyer had the chance to extend the home side's lead through a penalty kick after being tripped in the area.

His powerful spot kick was somehow saved by the trailing leg of McLaren to keep Rovers in the game.

The game was then stopped for around 45 minutes as Dwyer collapsed in the area needing medical attention before being taken to hospital. The referee finally got play back underway and Mansfield were hungry for more goals.

They quickly made it 3-1 through Dan Fletcher who was put through by Drew Gibson and Fletcher very nicely curled the ball over McLaren.

The home side weren't finished there. Two minutes later Joe Fitzpatrick met a squared ball from Fletcher in the box and found the bottom corner to add a fourth.

On that the referee blew for full time to end a disappointing afternoon for Rovers youngsters.

Team details -
Mansfield: Wilson, Slone, Tabreham, Hutchinson, Brownlie, Fitzpatrick, Thomson, Spencer (C), Fletcher, Blake, Dwyer.

Subs not used – Hampson, Harrison, Roome, Gibson, Holmes

Rovers: Jack McLaren, Ben Greasley, Michael Carberry, Jordan Linley, Paul McKay, Connor Williamson (Scott Brown, 70), Matty Davies, Matt Parkin (Alex Head, 72), Jack McKay, Ryan Wanless, Aron Gordon (Liam Mandeville, 82)

Subs not used – Trialist

Cautions – Linley, Davies, Brown

Doncaster Rovers Under 18's are back in action on Monday 3rd November at the Keepmoat Stadium as they take on Morecambe in the first round of the FA Youth Cup.

For ticket details CLICK HERE


Advertisement block