Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U21 Report: Doncaster Rovers 2-1 Rotherham United

27 November 2014

Sponsored by

McKay and Mandeville partnership ever present as rival win over Millers sees Under 21’s go top of the league.

Doncaster Rovers 2 (J.McKay, 25 Mandeville, 57)
Rotherham 1 (Yates, 35)

Cantley Park, Doncaster
Wednesday 26th October
Final Third Development League

Jack McKay and Liam Mandeville struck again as goals from the two young forwards sealed victory for Rovers.  The victory, which is the fourth of their campaign, has put the U21’s top of the Final Third Development League (East). 

First team player Cedric Evina was in the starting eleven for Rob Jones’ side as he made his return from injury.

McKay and Mandeville linked up well in the opening few minutes as McKay met a good cross with his head, but it was an easy save for goalkeeper Tony Thompson.

Billy Whitehouse looked lively and a great run from inside his own half saw him skip through the defence, but he was stopped by the last defender whose well timed tackle denied him getting his shot away.

Rotherham settled themselves and were appealing for a penalty as Mitchell Rose seized on a rebound in the area. It looked to be a certain goal but for Evina throwing himself in the way to put the ball behind for a corner.  The referee ignored the protests and waved play on.

A great run from midfield by Febian Brandy resulted in a fierce shot from the edge of the area, but it was brilliantly deflected behind for a corner by Liam Wakefield.

Rovers were having to withstand heavy pressure from the Millers, but against the run of play the home side took the lead on 25 minutes. Jack McKay got on the end of a through ball from captain Harry Middleton and calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner past Thompson.

Jerry Yates should have put the visitors level as he found himself one on one with Marko Marosi, but he dragged his left footed shot wide of the post.

Ten minutes before the break Yates did find the equaliser. Wordsworth forced a fingertip save from Marosi and Yates was there to tap in the rebound from close range.

Half time score: Rovers 1-1 Rotherham

Rovers stepped up their game in the second half and re-took the lead after ten minutes. Aron Gordon put Mandeville through on goal, who opened up his body and brilliantly finished into the corner.

Minutes later Middleton almost made it three as he struck a shot from 30 yards forcing Thompson to punch the ball away.

Another burst of speed from Whitehouse saw him break into the area and release a shot, which was again well turned behind for a corner by Thompson.

Soon after some fancy footwork from Paul McKay in the area set up Mitchell Lund, who’s header needed a great reflex save to keep it out.

Rotherham searched for an equaliser and had several chances to draw level; Lewis Ferguson headed a ball off the line, before Lund blocked a volley which was struck from close range. However, the best chance for the visitors came from a corner on 70 minutes  as Max Hallatt headed onto the post.

As the full time whistle approached, Ryan Hall’s left footed free kick clipped the outside of the post but Rovers held on and the referee blew for full time, securing victory for Rob Jones’ side.


Team details -
Rovers: Marosi, Lund, Evina (Brown- 45), Head, Wakefield, P.McKay, Whitehouse, Middleton, J.McKay (Gordon- 45), Mandeville (Linley- 80), Ferguson

Subs not used – McLaren, Davies

Cautions- Brown

Rotherham: Thompson, Wiles, Warren, Newton, Hallatt, Peace-McDonald, Hall, Rose, Yates, Wordsworth, Brandy

Subs not used – Denton, Muskwe, Rose, Fenton, Gibson


Advertisement block