Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 18/10/2014

18 October 2014

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town- 3 (Dobbie 11, McAlinden 36, Ball 73)

Doncaster Rovers- 1 (Tyson 16)

Highbury Stadium, Fleetwood
Saturday 18th October
Sky Bet League 1

Doncaster Rovers are unsuccessful as they look for their third away win on the bounce.

Fleetwood started the game the stronger of the two sides in this Sky Bet League One clash, and were presented with an early chance on three minutes as the ball was cut back to Stephen Dobbie in the box, but he fired his shot just wide of Steer’s post.

On eleven minutes Rovers failed to clear a rebound in the box and the ball fell to Dobbie, who smashed the ball into the top corner to give the home side the lead.

It took just five minutes for Rovers to get back into the game. Wellens played the ball to Tyson on the edge of the area, the striker found space to shoot and a deflection helped it into the bottom corner of the net.

Fleetwood looked the more likely to score and some brave goalkeeping from Steer denied David Ball as he was put through one on one.

Rovers struggled to maintain possession and on 36 minutes the home side took the lead again.  Ball delivered a low cross into the area, and McAlinden who found himself in space had an easy tap in to make it 2-1.

Just before half time Rovers came close as James Coppinger weaved his way through the Fleetwood defence. He cut the ball back to McCombe who struck it well but it was inches wide.

A much more lively second half was needed for Rovers to get back into the game.

Fleetwood started the second half as they started the first and were presented with an early chance as a scramble in the box resulted in McCullough clearing off the line.

Dobbie then had a great chance as the ball was cut back to him on the penalty spot. He should have made it 3-1 but Steer made a good save.

Coppinger almost made it 2-2 as his low shot was deflected forcing Maxwell to make a fantastic reflex save.

Chances were slim for Rovers and it was Dobbie again who came close for the hosts, as his shot from 20 yards was saved brilliantly by Steer.

David Ball sealed the game for Fleetwood as he met a low cross from Evans and stylishly back-heeled the ball into the bottom corner.

Rovers bought on Curtis Main and Theo Robinson to try and find a way back into the game but it was not their day. Kyle Bennett came close with a free kick from 20 yards which was well kept out by Maxwell, and the referee blew for full time on a disappointing afternoon for the visitors.

Team details -
Fleetwood: Maxwell, McLaughlin, Pond, Evans, Schumacher (Southern 77), Dobbie (Hughes 88), Morris, McAlinden (Proctor 83), Ball, Jordan, Crainey.

Subs not used – Davies, Roberts, Sarcevic, Haughton

Cautions-  Schumacher, Crainey, Southern

Rovers: Steer, Evina, McCombe (Robinson 83), Forrester (Main 60), McCullough, Tyson, Keegan, Wellens, De Val Fernandez (Bennett 60), Wabara, Coppinger.

Subs not used – Furman, Marosi, Robinson, Wakefield, Lund

Cautions –

Attendance –  3,785

Away- 862

Advertisement block