Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 07/10/2014

7 October 2014

A confident performance from Paul Dickov’s side sees Rovers advance to the third round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy and secure back to back wins ahead of the international break.

Attendance –  1269

  Subs not used – Bennett, Brown, Middleton

  Rovers: Rovers starting XI: Steer, Evina, McCombe,Forrester (Whitehouse 89), Tyson (Robinson 73), Keegan (Middleton 85), Wellens,De Val, Wabara, Coppinger (c), Lund

  Subs not used – McLaughlin, McGurk,

  Burton: Lyness, Edwards, Cansdell-Sherriff, Sharps (Bell 45), McCrory (Taft 45), MacDonald (Harness 70), Palmer, Mousinho, Akins, Blyth, Knowles
Team details -

  There was a late scare for Rovers as Knowles rattled Steer’s post on 89 minutes but it was not to be. A very comfortable win for Paul Dickov’s side who advance to the third round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

  On 87 minutes Richie Wellens confirmed victory for the away side. Substitute Theo Robinson picked the ball up on the edge of the area and laid it off to Wellens. The midfielder skipped through the defence and confidently completed the move with a neat finish into the bottom corner.

  The home side continued to apply pressure on the Rovers defence and on the hour mark Knowles found himself space in the box, but great defending from Mitchell Lund was enough to put the striker off and have his shot blocked. Minutes later Blyth beat the offside trap and found himself one on one with Steer but he dragged his shot wide of goal.

  Burton came out lively in the second half as they looked to get back into the game. Palmer picked up the ball on the right and passed it across the face of goal but no one was there to apply the finish.

  The away side finished the first half strongly and looked in control of the game.

  Tyson stepped up and made no mistake in converting the spot kick to give Rovers a two goal lead and score his fifth goal of the season.

  Just seven minutes later Wellens put Tyson through. Using his pace well the striker ran through the defence and was brought down in the box, the referee pointed straight to the spot.

  On 33 minutes Rovers broke the deadlock and a good ball into the box from Coppinger fell to Forrester. He confidently chested the ball down and volleyed it into the bottom corner of the net.

  Rovers picked up the pace and started to play with more urgency midway through the first half. On 25 minutes some great interplay between De Val and Coppinger in midfield put Harry Forrester through. The midfielder burst into the box and drove the ball across the face of goal- Tyson was just inches away from putting Rovers ahead.

  A very compact Burton defence made life difficult for the visitors in the opening 20 minutes.

  The League Two side enjoyed the better of the possession in the opening fifteen minutes but neither side really threatened. MacDonald had the best chance as he picked the ball up on the edge of the area and released a fierce shot forcing a save from Steer.

  Paul Dickov made three changes to the side that won at Glandford Park at the weekend. Youngster Mitchell Lund made his professional debut, while Cedric Evina and Paul Keegan returned to the starting eleven.

  Johnstone’s Paint Trophy
  Tuesday 7th October 2014
  Pirelli Stadium, Burton

  Rovers- 3 (Forrester 33, Tyson 40, Wellens 87)
 Burton- 0

Advertisement block