Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/10/2014

25 October 2014

Sponsored by

Doncaster Rovers- 0

MK Dons- 0

Keepmoat Stadium

2014-10-25thSaturday October 25

SkyBet Football League One


Paul Dickov made five changes from the side that lost 2-0 to Leyton Orient on Tuesday night.


James Coppinger was missing due to injury and was replaced by Kyle Bennett, whilst Andy Butler made his Rovers debut in the place of Jamie McCombe.

Paul Keegan came in and captained Rovers today, whist Curtis Main started his first game for Rovers since his injury.

It was a match which saw plenty of chances despite ended goalless.Tthe first half was scrappy at times, but chances did come by for Rovers. The best fell to Harry Forrester who got in behind the defence and just put his low curling effort wide.


The link up between Reece Wabara and Forrester down the Rovers was working really well and Wabara was constantly delivering balls in to the box, which unfortunately Rovers men just couldn’t get on the end of.

Nathan Tyson also flashed a cross right across the face of the MK Dons goal, which Forrester couldn’t guide in, his touch also took it away from Main, who would have had a tap in.


The most controversial moment of the half was when Keegan played Tyson in on goal, but was taken late and the referee decided not to give the advantage to Dickov’s side, despite Tyson having a real chance to give his side the lead.


The away side had moments of their own in the opening 45 minutes; Ben Reeves curled an effort towards the top corner, but couldn’t find the target. Jed Steer also was forced into action when Reeves hit a free kick, Kyle Bennett cleared after Steer saved.

Neither side wanted to draw the match and, after a tight 20 minutes in the second half, Rovers brought Robinson on for Main and to open the match up.

Chances fell to Rovers and the biggest moment was when two handball appeals in the same attack were waved away by the referee. The second was a shot by Robinson that did appear to hit an arm of an opponent.


MK Dons pushed Rovers back as the match got towards the end and Afobe, who replaced Will Grigg, was through on goal and lifted over Steer, but McCullough cleared on the line.


The away side continued to have chances and hit the post as well a header flashing past the far post. The way they ended the match must have Karl Robinson wondering how his side didn’t find the net.

Rovers almost hit them on the counter attack when Evina found Robinson with a lovely switched ball, Robinson tried to tee Forrester for a tap in, but a defender just got back for the away side, to push it behind for a corner.


Both sides would have felt hard done by had they lost the match but the only surprise was that there weren’t any goals in a match that had plenty of opportunities.

It was much better defensively from Dickov’s side and Andy Butler on debut impressed at centre-back, despite picking up a first half booking.


Team details - Steer, Wabara, Butler, McCullough, Evina, Keegan ©, Wellens, Forrester, Bennett, Main (Robinson, 61), Tyson.Rovers:

Cautions –  (Butler, 37), (Keegan, 74).
Subs not used – Marosi, Furman, McCombe, Wakefield, De-Val, Whitehouse.

MK Dons:Martin, Lewington, Flanagan, Kay, Potter, Reeves (Randall, 90), Grigg (Afobe, 67), Spence, Alli, Powell, Carruthers (Baker, 71).

Subs not used –McLoughlin, Hitchcock, Rasulo, Hickford

Advertisement block