Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Burton Albion 0-3 Doncaster Rovers

7 October 2014

Sponsored by

A confident performance from Paul Dickov’s side sees Rovers advance to the third round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy and secure back to back wins ahead of the international break.

Burton- 0
Rovers- 3 (Forrester 33, Tyson 40, Wellens 87)

Pirelli Stadium, Burton
Tuesday 7th October 2014
Johnstone’s Paint Trophy

Paul Dickov made three changes to the side that won at Glandford Park at the weekend. Youngster Mitchell Lund made his professional debut, while Cedric Evina and Paul Keegan returned to the starting eleven.

The League Two side enjoyed the better of the possession in the opening fifteen minutes but neither side really threatened. MacDonald had the best chance as he picked the ball up on the edge of the area and released a fierce shot forcing a save from Steer.

A very compact Burton defence made life difficult for the visitors in the opening 20 minutes.

Rovers picked up the pace and started to play with more urgency midway through the first half. On 25 minutes some great interplay between De Val and Coppinger in midfield put Harry Forrester through. The midfielder burst into the box and drove the ball across the face of goal- Tyson was just inches away from putting Rovers ahead.

On 33 minutes Rovers broke the deadlock and a good ball into the box from Coppinger fell to Forrester. He confidently chested the ball down and volleyed it into the bottom corner of the net.

Just seven minutes later Wellens put Tyson through. Using his pace well the striker ran through the defence and was brought down in the box, the referee pointed straight to the spot.

Tyson stepped up and made no mistake in converting the spot kick to give Rovers a two goal lead and score his fifth goal of the season.

The away side finished the first half strongly and looked in control of the game.

Burton came out lively in the second half as they looked to get back into the game. Palmer picked up the ball on the right and passed it across the face of goal but no one was there to apply the finish.

The home side continued to apply pressure on the Rovers defence and on the hour mark Knowles found himself space in the box, but great defending from Mitchell Lund was enough to put the striker off and have his shot blocked. Minutes later Blyth beat the offside trap and found himself one on one with Steer but he dragged his shot wide of goal.

On 87 minutes Richie Wellens confirmed victory for the away side. Substitute Theo Robinson picked the ball up on the edge of the area and laid it off to Wellens. The midfielder skipped through the defence and confidently completed the move with a neat finish into the bottom corner.

There was a late scare for Rovers as Knowles rattled Steer’s post on 89 minutes but it was not to be. A very comfortable win for Paul Dickov’s side who advance to the third round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

Team details -
Burton: Lyness, Edwards, Cansdell-Sherriff, Sharps (Bell 45), McCrory (Taft 45), MacDonald (Harness 70), Palmer, Mousinho, Akins, Blyth, Knowles

Subs not used – McLaughlin, McGurk,

Rovers: Rovers starting XI: Steer, Evina, McCombe,Forrester (Whitehouse 89), Tyson (Robinson 73), Keegan (Middleton 85), Wellens,De Val, Wabara, Coppinger (c), Lund

Subs not used – Bennett, Brown, Middleton

Attendance –  1269


Advertisement block