Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Rovers Development 3-1 Hartlepool Development

15 October 2014

Sponsored by

Rovers Development get their first win of the season under Rob Jones as they beat Hartlepool 3-1 at Cantley Park.

Doncaster Rovers- 3 (Mandeville 5, Head 17, J.McKay 85)
Hartlepool United- 1 (Green 32)

Cantley Park, Doncaster
Wednesday 15th October 2014
Final Third Development League

Goals from youth team players Liam Mandeville, Alex Head and Jack McKay secured a 3-1 victory for Rovers over Hartlepool in the Final Third Development League.

It was a bright start for the home side and the first chance fell just two minutes in as Lewis Ferguson cut inside from the left wing to shoot low and hard, but it was just wide of the post. 

Minutes later Alex Head delivered a low ball across the box, which was met by Liam Mandeville who made no mistake in finding the top corner.

Rovers started as they meant to go on and Mandeville almost doubled his tally when he was put through by Peterson. This time Dawson denied the striker from finding the back of the net with a great save.

Rovers were in possession again and a long range effort from Peterson won the home side a corner. The resulting corner saw Peterson’s flick on find Head at the back post, who tapped in from close range to give the home side a 2-0 lead.

Rovers continued to set the tempo and it could have been 3-0 when Ferguson was put through one on one, but a good save from Dawson low to his right denied the midfielder.

The visitors pulled a goal back before half time as a corner was headed home by Green at the far post. They then came close to levelling things up as Franks saw his shot brilliantly tipped over the bar by U18 keeper Iveson.

Experienced striker Marlon Harewood almost made it 2-2 as his free kick rattled the cross bar just minutes into the second half. 

There was another good chance for Rovers as Ferguson continued to cause problems down the left. His low ball across the face of goal just needed a touch from Whitehouse, but he couldn’t quite make contact.

Substitute Jack McKay secured victory for Rovers when he picked up the ball inside the Rovers half. Deciding to go alone, McKay advanced and struck a fantastic shot from 25 yards, which found the top corner.

There was a late chance for Hartlepool as Armstrong tried to curl a shot into the bottom corner, forcing a good save from Iveson.

Rovers saw out the final few minutes of the game for a 3-1 victory at Cantley Park.

Team details -
Rovers: Iveson, Lund, Brown, Middleton, Wakefield, P.McKay, Ferguson, Head (Linley, 55), Peterson (J.McKay, 75), Mandeville (Gordon, 65), Whitehouse

Subs not used – Carberry, Davies

Hartlepool: Dawson, Richards, D.Holden, Green, Nearney, Turnbull, A.Holden (Armstrong, 55), Atkinson, Harewood, Franks, Smith

Subs not used – Blackford, Car, Wood, Mitchinson

Advertisement block