Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: United 1-2 Rovers

4 October 2014

Rovers back to winning ways with derby day victory for Paul Dickov's side.

Scunthorpe United 1- Fallon (24)
Doncaster Rovers 2 - Coppinger (29), Tyson (49)
Glanford Park
Saturday 4th October 2014
Sky Bet Football League 1

Rovers got back to winning ways with a well deserved victory at Glanford Park, as goals from Nathan Tyson and James Coppinger ensured Paul Dickov's men returned to Doncaster with all three points.

Rovers started the game with a change to the back line which saw Reece Wabara move to the left and Liam Wakefield come in at right back.  Meanwhile Marc De Val, Dean Furman and Richie Wellens lined up in centre midfield for Rovers, with Tyson flanked by Coppinger and Harry Forrester.  Jed Steer had recovered from his injury last week to retain his place in the Rovers goal.

Rovers started the match brightly with an early chance for Wellens within the opening minutes of the game.  The first 20 minutes then saw chances for both sides but with Rovers looking the better of the two teams.

On 20 minutes a great passage of play saw Wakefield slip Furman in on the right hand side, the South African midfielder played a low ball across the box which fell to Wellens whose shot was blocked and cleared by Scunthorpe who then broke with their own opportunity; Paddy Madden being denied by a good stop from Steer low down to his right.

On 24 minutes the hosts struck when Fallon slid the ball home past Steer against the run of play.

Scunthorpe's lead was short lived and lasted just five minutes as Rovers equalised in quick time. James Coppinger netted his second of the season with a neat finish from a corner after the Iron struggled to clear their lines.

Two minutes later Rovers were almost in front, Forrester went one on one with goalkeeper Bobby Olejnik following neat play by his team mates.  The Scunthorpe keeper capitalised on Forrester's slight indecision in front of goal to keep the scores level.

An entertaining first half saw the two sides go in level.

In the second half Rovers started brightly and scored just 4 minutes after the restart.  Dean Furman setting up Tyson, who calmly took a touch inside the box before slotting home for his fourth goal of the season.  The Rovers striker ran towards the visiting fans and was subsequently cautioned for his overzealous celebrations.

During the next twenty minutes Rovers then had a series of chances, with Wellens, Coppinger, Wabara and Wakefield all coming close but denied by Olejnik in the Scunthorpe goal.  The Scunthorpe keeper was named man of the match for his efforts at the end of the game by his clubs sponsors.

As the game came to a close, challenges started to become more fractious, with a series of free kicks slowing down Rovers’ attacking threat.  The final ten minutes saw Rovers become more defensive in order to maintain their advantage, Paul Keegan replacing De Val on 82 minutes.  Steer remained comfortable in the Rovers goal throughout remaining minutes of the game though, calmly collecting every loose ball and ensuring a well deserved victory for the visitors.

Team details –

Olejnik, Sparrow, Madden, Bishop (C), Hawkridge (Myrie-Williams 61), O'Niell, Boyce, McSheffrey, Williams, Brisley, Fallon

Subs not used – Severn, Dawson, McAllister, Adelakun, Kee, Llera

Cautions – Sparrow (7), O'Neill (51), Bishop (65)

Rovers: Steer, Wakefield, Wabara, McCombe, McCullough, De-Val (Keegan 82), Wellens, Furman, Forrester, Coppinger ©, Tyson.

Subs not used – Marosi, Robinson, Peterson, Lund, Ferguson, Bennett

Cautions – Tyson (49) Furman (71)

Attendance – 5420 (1728)

Advertisement block