Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

YOUTH REPORT: Scunthorpe 2-2 Rovers

20 October 2014

Sponsored by

A share of the spoils for Rovers Under 18's against local rivals. #MadeInDoncaster

Scunthorpe United- 2
Doncaster Rovers- 2 (J. Mckay, 79, 80)

Saturday October 18th 2014
Jack McKay’s two goals in a minute not enough to get the win.
A last gasp Scunthorpe goal prevented Rovers getting all three points, in what was a heated contest.

The match started with the home side on top, as Rovers seemed to have lost a little confidence with last weekend’s defeat to Bradford.

They got going after the opening ten minutes, when they had a succession of corners and seemed to be getting on the front foot.

However, Scunthorpe seemed to have the better of the play down the right flank and found a couple of openings.

As the first half got to the midway stage, the game had had become a battle between the midfield, as one another cancelled each other out.

Scunthorpe then got on top and had a chance when a long shot came in towards the Rovers goal, before being blocked by a Paul McKay.

The pressure continued and on 38 minutes, Scunthorpe took the lead when a cross from the right wing was nodded in at the back post to take a foothold in the game.

The Iron had a chance to double their lead before half time when a shot from 25 yards had Jonathan Iveson well beaten, but thankfully hit the post.

The second half began with a much better tempo from Rovers, but they continued to struggle to create chances, despite seeing much of the ball, early on.

With half an hour to go Rovers first change happened, when Ben Greasley replaced Michael Carberry, and Greasley’s fresh legs looked to boost Rovers, when getting forward.

Rovers had a chance when Kevin M’Buti had a free-header but sent it over the bar.

On 69 minutes, the second change, Ryan Wanless came on for Aron Gordon, which saw Rovers have three strikers on the field.

The changes really helped the away side in creating chances; first a shot from distance was well saved by the Iron’s keeper, and then Wanless had a chance but couldn’t get the right contact.

The match opened up and Scunthorpe had chances to make it 2-0. However, on 79 minutes Jack McKay got his side back into the match with a wonderful free kick from 25 yards.

Then, within seconds of the restart, he turned the match on its head and got his and Rovers’ second, with a smart finish between the keeper’s legs.

With a few minutes remaining McKay nearly got his hat trick when a clearance deflected off him. However it bounced short of the net and as he went to follow up, he appeared to be pushed, but the referee waved away the penalty appeals.

With seconds to go, the referee allowed play to go on, despite calls for treatment to a Rovers player on the floor and eventually awarded a free kick to Scunthorpe.

The set piece was delivered deep in the box and eventually turned in for an equaliser at the death to make it 2-2.

The home side would have felt it was the least they deserved, and Rovers will be disappointed to concede late once again.

Rovers team: Iveson, Carberry (Greasley, 55), M’Buti, P. McKay ©, Brown, Linley, Head, Gordon (Wanless, 69), Davies, J. McKay, Mandeville.
Subs not used: Parkin, Williamson.

Advertisement block