Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Doncaster Rovers U18’s 4-0 Grimsby Town U18’s

6 September 2014

Sponsored by

A confident second half performance saw Doncaster Rovers Under 18’s hammer Grimsby Town Under 18’s and remain unbeaten in the North East Youth Alliance League.

Doncaster Rovers U18’s 4 (Brown, 48. J McKay, 65. Davies, 66. J McKay, 86) 

Grimsby Town U18’s 0 

Cantley Park, Doncaster
Saturday 6th September
11am Kick off
North East Youth Alliance League

A dominant second half from Rovers saw Paul Stancliffe’s Under 18 side hand a beating to Grimsby Town Under 18’s on a very wet afternoon at Cantley Park.

Chances in the first half were restricted as neither side found a way to break through, though it was the away side who threatened most but failed to find the finishing product.

Rovers had half a chance just five minutes into the game. Jack McKay picked up the ball on the edge of the area and tried to put winger Aaron Gordon through but their was just too much weight on the pass.
Grimsby should have gone ahead after ten minutes as they broke down the right. The ball was squared and set up for Callum Jennings but he dragged his shot wide of McLaren’s right post.
The Mariners went close again as Matty Dale thrashed a ball across the face of goal. Carberry attempted to clear at full stretch and almost put the ball in his own net, giving away a corner. There was a half chance for the visitors from the resulting corner but Rovers threw bodies at the ball to stop the attack.
Rovers youngsters gradually grew into the game and the best chance for them fell on half time as Aaron Gordon used his pace to cut in from the left beating two defenders, but unfortunately couldn’t find the final product and dragged his shot wide.
On this the referee bought a scrappy first half to a close.
It took just three minutes after kicking off the second half for Rovers to break the deadlock. Davies deep delivery into the box looped over the keeper and defender Scott Brown was there to head the ball in and score his first league goal for Rovers U18’s.

Chances started to come thick and fast for the hosts following the goal. Alex Head tried his luck and went close with a half volley from the edge of the area but it went just over the crossbar.
Davies continued to cause Grimsby problems down the right and threatened on more than one occasion. On 60 minutes he found himself space in the area and hit a first time pass to Jack McKay who mistimed his kick and missed the target.
On 65 minutes Rovers doubled their lead as Gordon picked the ball up and drew the defence in. He released McKay through one on one and the striker confidently slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

Just one minute later Davies was sent through one on one in almost exactly the same position and made no mistake in scoring Rovers third.

The home side looked comfortable from here and Jack McKay forced a good save from Pearson as he tried to lift the ball over the keeper from a tight angle.
With just four minutes to go, some great one-two play between McKay and Mandeville put McKay through on goal again. A slip from the Mariners keeper made McKay favourite to reach the ball first and he had no problem slotting home for the fourth goal of the afternoon.
The referee blew for full time on a second half that was dominated by Rovers. Paul Stancliffe’s side remain unbeaten in the North East Youth Alliance League.

Team details - 

Rovers: Jack McLaren, Scott Brown, Paul McKay, Kevin Mbuti, Michael Carberry, Aaron Gordon (Ryan Wanless, 72), Jordan Linley (Matty Parkin, 67), Alex Head, Matty Davies, Jack McKay, Liam Mandeville

Subs not used – Reece Fielding, Lloyd Henderson, Connor Williamson

Grimsby: Jack Pearson, Ben Sibbick, Joe Crowther, Josh Uenney, Josh Sunter, Will Appleby, Matty Dale, Jordan Barnett, Lewis Bemrose, Harry Cliffton, Callum Jennings

Subs not used – Lucas Middleton, Kris Fowcett, James Wroot, Max Wright.


Advertisement block