Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Askern Villa 1-1 Doncaster Rovers Development

3 September 2014

Sponsored by

Doncaster Rovers Development earned a draw against local side Askern Villa in a pre season community fixture.

Askern Villa 1
Doncaster Rovers Development  1

Askern Welfare Sports Ground, Askern
Tuesday 2nd September.

As Rob Jones took to the dugout for the first time, Doncaster Rovers Development had a difficult opening to their season against a very physical Askern Villa side.

Jones fielded a number of Under 18 players from Paul Stancliffe’s Youth Team, as first team manager Paul Dickov watched from the stands.

It looked as if Rovers would get off to the perfect start, as straight from kick off captain Harry Middleton played a long ball for Lewis Ferguson. Ferguson used his pace to pass the defence delivering a low ball for Billy Whitehouse who dragged just wide with his left foot.

Rovers next chance fell on 8 minutes as Middleton played a ball in to the far post. Ben Askins was there to meet the cross but headed just wide.

Just 4 minutes later defender Scott Brown put Alex Peterson through one on one but was called back for offside.

Askern’s defence were troubled by 17 year old winger Aaron Gordon who continued to cause problems down the right. Mitchell Lund joined the attack and set up Alex Head on the edge of the area who forced a good save from Askern’s goalkeeper.

Middleton was the victim of a very late tackle on 22 minutes which was a clear sign from the home side who looked to take a much more physical approach than Rovers.

The best chance for Rovers came on 35 minutes as Head squared the ball to Peterson on the penalty spot. Another good save from the Askern keeper denied the striker.

Despite Rovers first half dominance the score remained 0-0 at the break.

The second half got underway and it took just  one minute for the home side to take the lead. A long ball from defence put Gary Mundy through one on one and, despite Jack McClaren being quick off his line, Askern took the lead 1-0.

Rovers looked to respond instantly and the best chance of the game fell to Peterson again who had his shot from 8 yards cleared off the line.

With 20 minutes to play, a moment of magic from Whitehouse almost saw Rovers equalise. Cutting in from the right, the youngster beat  three defenders and found space to shoot with his left foot before putting over the bar.

Askern threatened on the counter attack but Askins remained calm and composed at the back to stop the attacks.

On 85 minutes Whitehouse was there again and picked up the ball on the edge of the area. A lovely back heel set up captain Middleton who struck a fierce shot. On it’s way into the top corner the shot took a deflection off a defender leaving the keeper with no chance.

Neither side found a winner and the referee blew his whistle, the match ending 1-1.

Rovers: McClaren, Lund, Askins, P McKay, Brown, Gordon (Davis 70), Middleton, Head (Linley 80), Whitehouse, Peterson (J McKay 85), Ferguson (Mandeville 62).

Advertisement block