Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/04/2015

25 April 2015

REPORT: County 2 Rovers 0

County 2 (Thompson 7, Noble 59)

Doncaster Rovers 1 (Tyson, 90+4)

Meadow Lane, Nottingham
Saturday 25th April 2015
Sky Bet League One

The moment of silence ahead of kick off was perfectly observed by all areas of the ground paying their respects to the victims of the Bradford fire disaster.  

Notts County got the game underway but Rovers has the first notable chance, Tyson picking up the ball on the corner of the area but firing wide of Carroll’s far post. 

County responded in quick time the ball fell nicely for Garry THOMPSON in the centre of the area, who fired home past Marosi to give the Magpies the lead on seven minutes. 

The game turned a little scrappy but County managed to take hold and control a large period of the first half, Williams delivering a string of dangerous crosses, all defended comfortably by the Rovers defence.

As the half hour mark approached Rovers started to come back into the game. Forrester first to shoot from the corner of the area, his powerful shot was high over the bar. One minute later and Coppinger from the exact same position also fired high. 

The remainder of the first half was played out without any significant goalmouth action, Coppinger, Evina and Bennett linked up well down the right but struggled to deliver a final ball, Tyson through the middle was regularly closed down quickly by a stern County defence. 

Half time – County 1 Rovers 0

Rovers got the second half underway and looked like the livelier side. A corner was delivered to the back post for Butler to rise the highest, his header was in the direction of the defender who blocked at close range.

County striker Spencer was played through on goal on 50 minutes his low shot was saved well by Marosi but the official had decided that the striker was offside and raised his flag. 

The Magpies were up in arms on 54 minutes as Thompson goes down under the challenge of Jones, the referee wasn’t interested much to the frustration of the home crowd. 

As the hour mark approached County doubled their lead. NOBLE took a nice touch from a long diagonal cross and in the centre of the area keeps his composure to fire into the bottom corner.

On 64 minutes Lund in an advance position crosses the ball from the right, it took a wicked deflection off Hollis and Roy Carroll in the County goal was at full stretch to make the save. 

Rovers appealed for a penalty on 78 minutes. Main played a lovely through ball toward Tyson who goes down under the challenge, the referee waved away the appeals allowing Carroll to collect the loose ball.

Five minutes from time, a delivery from the left found Rob Jones at the back post who won the header, directing it towards goal but it didn’t trouble Carroll.

Into added time and Hollis brought down Tyson in a sloppy challenge just inside the area. TYSON picked himself up to smash the penalty down the middle to claw a goal back 4 minutes into added time. 

A frantic finish to the game was brought to an end by the referee; the Rovers players & manager applauded the away supporters and handed out their away shirts to a few lucky fans.

Full Time – County 2 Rovers 1

Rovers: Marosi, Lund, Jones © Butler, Evina, Coppinger, Forrester (Whitehouse, 80), Furman, Bennett (Middleton, 65), J.McKay (Main,56), Tyson.

Subs not used – Bywater, Stevens, Wabara, P.McKay.

Cautions – Butler (66), Jones (90)

County: Carroll, Adams, Mullins ©, Hollis (C.Thompson, 82), Spencer, Thompson, Jones, Noble, Burke, Bajner (Smith, 71), Williams.

Subs not used – Pilkington, Dumbuya, Hayhurst, Lita, Edwards.

Cautions – Hollis (46), Bajner (69)

Attendance – 5858  (770 Away)

Advertisement block