Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Rovers 0-0 Fleetwood

18 April 2015

Sponsored by

No goals at the Keepmoat as Fleetwood withstand late pressure to deny Rovers three points.

Rovers - 0
Fleetwood - 0

Saturday 18th April, 2015
Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster
Sky Bet League One
Kick off 3.00pm

It was a slow start to the game for both sides who shared the possession in the opening fifteen minutes.

The first real chance of the game fell to Rovers as Dean Furman broke from midfield. Striving forwards he saw an opportunity to test Chris Maxwell, however his effort from 25 yards sailed over the cross bar.

David Ball then tested Stephen Bywater as he came through the centre of the Rovers defence before shooting from 18 yards, but it was an easy save for the Rovers ‘keeper.

The home side came close when a delightful ball from Richie Wellens set Nathan Tyson free through the middle. One on one with Maxwell the ball just wouldn’t fall kindly for the striker. Eventually getting his shot away, Maxwell saved well to deny Rovers the lead.

Josh Morris came closest for the visitors in the first half, as a poor clearance fell nicely for him to strike from 25 yards, but his shot grazed the top of the cross bar.

There were nervy moments for the home side just before half time as a Bywater clearance fell straight to Ball, however the Fleetwood player couldn’t convert his chance and on that the referee bought an end to a very quiet first half for both sides.

HALF TIME: Doncaster Rovers 0-0 Fleetwood Town

Paul Dickov introduced Rotherham loanee Jonson Clarke-Harris to the game in the second half, as he replaced Curtis Main who had seen very little of the first half.

Rovers showed signs of improvement in the final third and some nice one-two football between James Coppinger and Wellens allowed Coppinger to cut inside from the right. Finding some space he released a shot from the edge of the area with his weaker foot, but it was easily gathered by Maxwell.

It was the home side who tested again. Another clever overhead ball from Wellens found Tyson who after twisting and turning finally got his shot away. With Maxwell beaten the ball somehow brushed past the right post.

Tyson should have put Rovers in front as he got on the end of a good ball into the box from Bennett, following a surging run by Clarke-Harris from inside his own half. Despite rising above the defence, Tyson’s header cleared Maxwell’s cross bar.

With five minutes to go it was Rovers who threatened again. Wellens showed great skill to burst into the box and get on the end of a Harry Forrester ball but his cross come shot was well saved by the Fleetwood ‘keeper.

There was more late pressure from Rovers, this time from Forrester as his snap-shot forced a great save from Maxwell and it looked like it wouldn’t be Rovers day.

Despite Paul Dickov’s side enjoying the majority of the possession, the referee drew a game with few chances to a close and it ended goalless.

FULL TIME: Doncaster Rovers 0-0 Fleetwood Town

Team Lineups -

Rovers: Bywater, Evina, Lund, Butler, Jones (c), Furman, Wellens, Coppinger (Forrester 65’), Bennett, Tyson (Mandeville 74’), Main (Clarke-Harris 45’)

Unused Subs: Marosi, Stevens, Wabara, Middleton

Cautions: Lund 51’,

Fleetwood: Maxwell, McLaughlin, Pond, Evans (Houghton 60’), Morris, Chicksen, Sarcevic (c), Forbes, Ball (McAlinden 84’), Jordan, Hunter (Proctor 60’)

Unused Subs: Schumacher, Hogan, Moore, Crainey

Cautions: McLaughlin 18’

Attendance: 6,211

Away: 125

Advertisement block