Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Rovers 0-0 Southend

19 August 2015

No goals at the Keepmoat as Rovers remain unbeaten.

Doncaster Rovers - 0
Southend United - 0

Wednesday 19th August, 7.45pm
Keep moat Stadium, Doncaster
Sky Bet League One

Doncaster Rovers busy match day schedule continued and it was another quick turnaround after a visit to Wigan on Sunday.

The visitors had the first effort on goal, winning a corner in the opening 40 seconds. Cian Bolger rose highest in the box firing a header towards goal, but his effort was over the cross bar.

Southend threatened again through David Worroll. Driving forward Worroll cut inside to shoot with his right, but his tame effort went straight into the hands of Thorsten Stuckmann.

Andy Williams was appealing for a penalty mid way through the first half as he looked to get on the end of a Harry Forrester cross. Going for the header he looked to take an elbow in the back of the neck but nothing was given and play went on.

There were nervy times for Rovers as Forrester landed awkwardly and looked like his night might be over but he got back to his feet and continued.

HALF TIME: Rovers 0-0 Southend

Rovers came out the better side in the second half. Richie Wellens threatened as he picked up the ball in midfield heading towards goal. Deciding to shoot with his left, his effort took a deflection to take it behind for a corner.

It was the home side who threatened again. This time the move came from goalkeeper Stuckmann whose long kick downfield found Williams, unfortunately the striker was just an inch away from getting the final touch needed.

Substitute Richard Chaplow had a chance with a left footed shot from the edge of the area but was denied by a good save from Bentley.

Stuckann was called into action shortly after as Michael Timlin picked up the ball on the edge of the area and curled a left footed shot towards goal. Heading for the top corner, Stuckmann at full stretch pulled off a fantastic save.

Curtis Main came on for the home side and looked lively hoping to make an impact. He almost got his reward when he got on the end of a Wellens free kick in the box but Bentley did well to put the striker off and his effort went just past the post.

After a game of very little chances, the referee blew for full time and Rovers remain unbeaten in the start to the season. 

Team Lineups-

Rovers: Stuckmann, McCullough, Butler, MacKenzie, Taylor-Sinclair, Evina (Main 66’), Wellens, Middleton (Chaplow 53’), Forrester (Whitehouse 82’), Coppinger (c), Williams

Subs not used: Marosi, Lund, Mandeville, P.McKay

Southend: Bentley, White (c), Coker, Worrall, Timlin, Mooney (Pigott 70’), Atkinson, Hurst (Weston 61’), Bolger (Prosser 66’), Leonard, Barratt

Subs not used: Wordsworth, Payne, Smith, Deegan

Attendance: 5,164

Advertisement block