Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Rovers U18's 4-0 York City U18's

23 August 2015

A 4-0 annihilation of York City U18's makes it three wins out of three for the youth side.

Rovers U18's - 4 (Linley pen 33', Davies 48', Parkin 88', Mbuti 90')
York City U18's  - 0 

Saturday 22nd August 2015, 11:00am
Cantley Park Training Ground, Doncaster

An impressive second half performance by Rovers saw them pick up another three points at Cantley Park, Paul Wilson's men have now won all three of their opening fixtures without conceding a goal. 

Rovers started brightly in particular tricky winger Matthew Davies, he did tremendously well to keep the ball alive in the York area after it seemed to been a lost cause but the youngster managed to squeeze the ball back towards the penalty spot to on-rushing Will Longbottom, his effort was superbly blocked by a sliding defender. 

There was unfortunately a half an hour stoppage due to an injury sustained to winger Chris Salmon which resulted in the player being taken to hospital. 

The game continued and Rovers really should have taken the lead through Longbottom and Jordan Linley respectively.
Longbottom broke free of the York defence but ended up slicing his shot wide of the left post, a few moments later Linley picked the ball up on the edge of the box and released a pile driver that flew just wide of Kieron Price's goal.
The deadlock was finally broken just after the half an hour mark and it was from the penalty spot, a reckless challenge by Mark James brought down Joey McCormick and without hesitation the referee pointed to the spot. 

Up stepped skipper Linley to send the keeper the wrong way and score his second penalty in two games. 

Rovers continued to outplay their opponents and nearly nicked a second on the stroke of half time, some brilliant counter-attacking play by the hosts broke the York defence down but luckily for the visitors Davies could not apply the finish at the back post after a teasing cross from Pugh.
HT: Doncaster Rovers U18's 1-0 York City U18's

Two minutes after the break Rovers doubled their lead with a superb goal, a stunning whipped ball by McCormick found Davies at the back post who expertly guide his volley past Price in the York City goal.
Pugh had another two chances to get on the score sheet but was unsuccessful in his efforts. The youngster's first chance was inches wide of the post after McCormick played a delightful through ball to his feet and his second was smashed against the post from a tight angle. 

With an hour gone in the game, Rovers had another shout for a penalty turned down by the referee after Longbottom's effort seemed to strike the hand of Josh Rogerson but again nothing was given. 

Goalkeeper Louis Jones was pretty much a spectator throughout the game but he was called upon with ten minutes remaining, Ben Hirst broke through the Rovers back line but fortunately for the hosts Jones made a stunning one-handed save to keep their 2-0 lead in tact. 

Two goals in two minutes gave Rovers an emphatic win, the first coming courtesy of Parkin. After some initial good work from Longbottom he found some space to unleash a shot that stung the palms of Price but there was Parkin to prod the ball home. 

The fourth was bullet header from centre half Kevin Mbuti, a great delivery from goalscorer Parkin was met by the head of Mbuti who managed to squeeze it past Price, who was not having the best of days. 

FT: Doncaster Rovers U18's 4-0 York City U18's

DRFC STARTING XI: Jones, Greasley, Williamson (Fielding 65'), Mbuti, Barker, Davies, Parkin, Linley (C), Pugh (Morris 75'), McCormick (Walker 70'), Longbottom. 


YCFC STARTING XI: Price, McMillan, James, Walton, Kemp, Rogerson, Salmon (Coney 20'), Fielding, Hirst (C), Wilson, Freer (Keenedy 57'). 

YCFC SUBS NOT USED: Parker, Brutton, Breslin.
DRFC - Pugh (Yellow 10') 
YCFC - James (Yellow 33'), Kennedy (Yellow 82')

Advertisement block